Dear Mom and Dad,

I’m sorry.

You’re the ones who gave me life, who put me on this planet.

And no matter what, I will always love you guys unconditionally.

But I'm human. I’m not perfect, I make mistakes.

So, yeah, I’m sorry I don’t help you guys out enough, and that I complain when I do. I guess I got used to being spoiled my entire life.

I’m sorry I’m not a straight-A student. I probably never will be. School was never really my thing.

I’m sorry I’m not good at math. I’m sorry that because of that, I struggled in school and allowed it to affect my grades so badly. I’m sorry for the years of math tutors and special math classes that ultimately didn't help.

I’m sorry that for the past two years, I neglected you two because I fell in love for the first time.

I’m sorry I don’t always come home at a reasonable time every night, and that I sometimes stay out all night and don’t tell you guys where I’m going.

I’m sorry I’m not the kind of daughter you brag about to your friends and relatives, and that you have more bad things to say about me than good.

I’m sorry that I’m not going to become a pharmacist. Or a lawyer. Or whatever else you guys deem as successful jobs.

And lastly, I’m sorry I don’t tell you guys “I love you” enough. I never learned how to say it growing up.

I can’t change who I am, but I can change the way I act. And I promise to try harder to connect with you guys.

With all my love,

Joanne