Sorry Not Sorry, But My Parents Can't Afford To Send Me To Coachella

Actually, they can't afford to send me to a lot of places.
320

To preface: this is no shade towards anyone who went to Coachella, paid for by their parents or not. I hope you enjoyed your time and had some experiences that you will cherish for a lifetime. Please tell me how amazing Beyonce's performance was because I'm sure a live stream cannot do her justice.

However, stop trying to make me feel bad for you because your parents paid for it. Good for you and your family for never having to go through a few of the things that myself and my family had to go through. Things like:

1. Crying on the phone to your mom because you can't make rent.

It's great that you have VIP housing in the valley, but I'm back home wondering if I'll have money to buy groceries this month.

2. Having to miss out on fun activities (like Coachella) because you can't afford to request a weekend off from work.

Not only can I not afford $400 for tickets but I also can't afford not making money this weekend.

3. Spending hours studying so you don't tank my GPA and lose the grants that are keeping you in school.

C's may get degrees, but they don't keep scholarships.

4. Almost losing your house during the 2008 Recession.

You got bullied because your parents bought you a Range Rover for your 16th birthday? Imagine what it's like getting bullied because you live in your parent's 1999 Dodge Caravan.

5. Having to listen to people complain because "haters" check their privileges.

I don't like you because your family has money. I don't like you because you take everything for granted, and you think you're being oppressed for having nice things.

But here are some things my parents did give me:

1. My parents have prepared me for what it's like to ask for help.

I don't just expect them to fix my problems for me. But, it's still okay to ask if you can't figure it out yourself.

2. My parents taught me the value of a dollar and a hard days work.

I am proud of every job I have worked, no matter how sweaty or dirty I've gotten.

3. I learned that I can go through hell and get up after it.

My life hasn't been easy, but I know my strength because of all the terrible things I've been through.

4. Teaching me, "money doesn't buy morals."

I hope someday I'll be able to buy my children cars when they get their licenses. But they will know they aren't any better than their classmates because of it.

5. Reminding me that jealousy is a valid emotion, but to keep it in perspective.

I might not have the nicest car out there, but at least I have one that can get me to work and school. There are a lot of things I might not have, but what I do have is a family who supports me whenever they can, even if it's not with money or fancy vacations.

In short: