Freshman year of college can be scary for all of those experiencing it for the first time. Parents and students alike will most likely share some sort of nervousness or anxiety about the first year. Cell phones will be nonstop buzzing from calls and texts asking, "Now how exactly do you do laundry?" to "How long should I heat this up for in the microwave?" Just embrace these moments and be grateful they still see you as their guiding light.

1. There are going to be things that you don't want to know about 

Just so you know, there are going to be things that you don't want to know about exactly what your child is doing when they are away from home, but I promise it isn't as bad as you think.

2. We actually love getting random calls and texts of encouragement

A silly text (or pics of our pets) in the morning can make our whole day, not seeing our parents actually gets kinda lonely... or we will be calling you every single night to talk about our day.

3. Yes, we are actually using our meal plans

And no we are not eating "junk" everyday

4. A surprise package can actually make our whole month

Bonus points if it has homemade cookies in it or a little extra cash ;)

5. Encouraging us to find tutors and doing well in our studies is important 

Helping us find resources and not shoving everything into our hands can relieve A LOT of stress

6. We are growing up 

So please give us the room and support we need while making these changes

7. Be aware of how our mental health is changing as well 

Mental health during college can actually be more important than physical health sometimes. Be aware of how we are acting and be ready for changes when we come home for breaks

Being mentally prepared is all you can do at this point, until you get through the experience there is no telling how it can go.