A Letter To My Future Children

My future children,

I want you to know that I will love you no matter what.

I will love you regardless of who it is that you love. Their race, sexuality or religious beliefs – I will love them as my own, so long as they treat you the way you should be treated.

I will love you regardless of how you decide to be educated, whether it is to drop out of high school or to further your education in college or graduate school.

My goal in life, as your mother, is to care for you and protect you with all that I have.

We live in a country where everyone is given the freedom to express themselves. This extends to their religious affiliation as well as many other aspects of their lives. Each religion has its own beliefs and values. This is why it is essential to respect others’ religions whether you understand it or not. I will instill in you how important it is to respect others, whether they are considered your senior or your junior and I will guide you on how to be respectful of others whether they are a male, female or whatever it is they identify as.

I will teach you that you should always raise your argument before you raise your voice and not to succumb to name-calling or try to “win” an argument, and for you to know that there are ways to argue your point and opinion without offending the other person(s).

From the very beginning of your life, as your mother, I want you to know the most important lesson I have learned so far - You are not above nor below anyone else on this Earth. You are to treat every other person you meet as your equal and do not look down on them for not having what you have and to not feel bad about yourself for not having what others have.

As your mother, I promise to answer any questions that you have about any of these lessons. Today, I also promise to teach you the differences between everything I have said before as much as I can so that you can choose for yourself where you feel best and do not feel obligated to follow what I or your father chose. I will be beside you throughout your life and will be here whenever you need me for any and everything.

With all my love,

Your mother