From Under The Radar To Britain's Hottest Indie Band

Pale Waves journey from under the wing of The 1975 to headline success in the U.S.

157
Lauren Hernandez

Pale Waves are an English indie pop band from Manchester that is influenced by The Cure and The 1975. The band recently just won the 2018 NME Award for Under the Radar. Pale Waves also received a ton of recognition after their 2017 tour with The 1975.

Friday night, Pale Waves played at The Rebel Lounge in Phoenix, Arizona on their 2018 headline tour in the United States. Throughout this headline tour, the band brought out their friends, INHEAVEN. INHEAVEN is an alternative band from South London, who has supported acts such as Sundara Karma, Circa Waves, and the Blossoms. NME recent reviewed their self-titled debut album as,"indie's most dangerously exciting debut-album."

Pale Waves fans lined up circling the venue before doors even opened and sold out the show. The crowd was a mixed age, but the venue opened up the floor to everyone and maintained their bar area. During INHEAVEN's set, the crowd channeled their inner rockers and danced the whole set to the grungy alternative sound. After INHEAVEN's performance, the band hung out at the merch table to meet fans and sell their merch. Chloe Little, the bassist, and vocalist of the band wore a Pale Waves shirt throughout their set.

Fans cheered for Pale Waves to come on as music similar to The 1975's intro began and the band walked on the stage. Heather Baron-Gracie, the lead singer, and guitarist of the band came on stage with her iconic black eyeshadow and lipstick wearing a black leather outfit.

The band played a total of nine songs, opening with Television Romance and ending with There's A Honey. The band played their recent two singles, The Tide and Heavenly that have received wide recognition due to their music videos. Pale Waves also performed three unreleased songs in the United States named Kiss, She, and Eighteen.

Gracie's vocals were outstanding throughout their show along with her charismatic. The band's iconic look and sound supported Gracie's vocals and entertained the fans singing and dancing in the audience. My favorite songs live wereThe Tide, Television Romance, and My Obsession.

The band seemed very grateful throughout their whole set and Gracie went into the audience a few times. After the show, fans purchased t-shirts from their wide selection of reasonably priced merch. Fans also had the opportunity to meet INHEAVEN and buy their merch. A little while after their performance, Pale Waves came out to meet fans inside the venue. The band signed merch, talked to fans, and took pictures with fans.

This was my second time seeing the band as I saw them on their tour with The 1975 in San Francisco, California. I believe the band has matured and grown as a band since then and they put on an outstanding live show.

Pale Waves has often been compared to The 1975 as their lyrics, sound, and production mirrors the band. Pale Waves has worked with and been produced by The 1975 and remains close friends with the band. I definitely think their sound is working for them and I believe all 1975 fans should check out Pale Wave if they haven't already. This band already has a great following, puts on a great show, and will only get bigger from here!