The One True College Packing List For Every Student's Needs

It's hard to pack lightly...

52

I was "the mom" of the floor during freshman year of college. Needed party supplies? I had it. Needed duck tape? I had that too. Need white out? How can you not pack that...? So here's a list of things you will probably need for dorm living...

Room essentials

Twin XL sheets (2 sets)

Bed comforter

Pillows (cause ya do a lot of sleeping...doesn't matter who you are)

A cozy blanket (or two...)

Mattress Pad/Cover (the beds are really uncomfortable...no matter what school you go to...)

Rotating fan

Bathroom essentials

Towels (2 sets)

Bathroom floor mat

Bathrobe (not necessary, but helpful at times)

Hair dryer, straightener & curler

Makeup bag

Toothbrush/toothpaste/floss

Tote to take to the showers with you

Face wash/body wash/loofa/shampoo/conditioner/lotion

Perfume or cologne

Q-tips/cotton balls

Deodorant

Hair brush (if your like me, you'll have 7 hairbrushes) & a comb

Medications/birth control (don't rely on the other person to have it)

Emergency/medical kit

Small first aid kit (band aids, gauze, etc)

Cough Syrup (NO don't drink this to sleep...)

Cough Drops

Vitamin C drops (it can help prevent you from getting sick)

Thermometer!!!!!!

Motrin or Tylenol (whatever floats your boat)

TISSUES, TISSUES, oh and MORE TISSUES!

Office supplies

Command Strips (for wall decorations, tapestries, pictures)

Command Hooks (good for holding winter jackets, towels, etc)

Duck Tape

Envelopes/stamps/ Note cards

Pens/colored pens/sharpies (very useful)/

Highlighters, highlighters, and more highlighters

Notebooks (4 or 5 big ones)

Calendar book

Batteries

Sticky notes (lots of them)!

More highlighters...! :)

Flashcards (tons)!

Clear sheet protectors

White out

Binder(s) *words of wisdom... don't get a binder for each class (they don't fit in your backpack)...get one big one and use clear sheet protectors to hold notes & any syllabi you get*

Small stapler/tape/paper clips/scissors/calculator/erasers

Backpack/laptop/chargers

Small desk lamp

SNACKIES

Cleaning supplies

Windex

Anti-bacterial spray & wipes

Dish soap & sponge

Paper towels

Broom & dust pan

Small Mop

Other

Ironing board

Vacuum...if you realty don't like sweeping...

Lint roller

Motivational pictures/signs

Pictures of family and friends

Gym bag, water bottles, small lock for lockers at the gym

Rain jacket/umbrella

Magazines & a couple books to read on the side (to keep your sanity)

Tapestry or posters

Hammer (to adjust the height of beds)

Aux cord/stereo/headphones

Wall mirror (if your room doesn't have one)

Fridge (with a small freezer) & microwave

Trash can & bags

Paper plates/napkins/plastic silverware

TV (honestly, you'll probably watch Netflix on your laptop)

Containers that can fit under a bed or/in the closet :) (good for bras/underwear/medications/other...)

*I didn't include a list of clothes to bring because every location is different. I have a friend in Hawaii who doesn't need winter jackets, yet up in New England you need to wear layers 9 months out of the year. So, it's up to you. But seriously, don't pack that much at first. You always pack more than you need...!

Happy packing!

-ES

From Your Site Articles