The Key To Overcoming Jealously And Bettering Yourself

Stop being jealous.

21
The Key To Overcoming  Jealously And Bettering Yourself
Unsplash.com

Jealously is such a weird concept. It's like a switch but once it's turned on you can't turn it off no matter how hard you try. You want to move past your jealously so you can grow but the insecurities you're feeling hold you back. Well it's time to let go and move on. First off let me say that you can be jealous of anyone or anything. It's also normal to be jealous of not only a lover but of a friend or a stranger. Sometimes there is a misconception that your only jealous when it comes to the people you are romantically involved with but that's not true. You feel this emotion when you feel threatened in some way, you may not know it at the time but that person who is the object of your envy has done something to make you feel less than you actually are. Most of the time this is not on purpose but it still happens regardless. So how can you overcome this feeling?

Well the answer is you never fully do, I mean you can work towards it and eventually get to a place where you are not constantly thinking about what someone else has that you don't. Jealousy comes from the part of you that is not confident so the first thing you should work on is self-love and appreciation. This can just be simple things like looking in the mirror when you wake up and saying to your "I'm beautiful" or just saying that you're something that you feel you're not. By this I mean if you think your dumb then say "I'm smart" or if you feel unloved then say "I am loved." This may seem tedious or useless but after a while you are sure to feel and see the results. You'll not only actually start to feel confident but you act like you are to. Whether it's walking straighter or starting to look up instead of down when you're walking. It will start out with small changes but overtime you'll give off an air of confidence. When I do this routine myself and now even if I don't feel like I'm at my best I am still able to think positively. Which brings us to our next point.

Thinking positively, now this is way harder than most people expect. The first thing we do when we're stressed is start thinking negatively, now I'm guilty of this as well but I make sure to correct myself when I catch myself. For example I failed my first math test, I wasn't the only one but i took it way better than everyone else had. People were freaking out and talking about dropping out, they brought up how other people passed and how they had studied just as hard. Now I just shrugged this off which caused them ask me how come I was so calm about it. So I responded with "I gave it my all and I just have to work harder to do better on the next test." This surprised them and after thinking on it for a few seconds they smiles and said "Yeah, that's a great way to look at it." Their moods changed immediately.

Lastly stop watching what other people are doing or what they have. Why compared yourself to other people and stress yourself out unnecessarily when if you focus on yourself you can achieve greater things than you thought. Plus you never know someone, who you probably don't even notice, most likely has the same feelings of envy towards you but you're too busy watching other people that you don't notice.

Hopefully these three steps can help you to focus on your goals and get rid of even a little bit of the envy you feel. And if you find that you are seeing a difference in yourself share these tips with your friends so you guys can not only overcome your feeling of jealously but also learn to love yourselves a bit more as well.