13 Ways to Outsmart Writer's Block

13 Ways to Outsmart Writer's Block

Progress isn't linear. You will always have ups and downs, but when you're down that means an up is on its way.

26
13 Ways to Outsmart Writer's Block
https://www.pexels.com/photo/blank-business-composition-computer-373076/

1. Embrace the rough draft

This can be really hard, especially when you feel like you're staring at a blank page and having no thoughts to fill it with. Up in the top of the margin, just write yourself a small little message. Something like "It's okay if you don't do as well as you hoped. Don't be afraid to mess up. Write what you want to write. Fail and fail better."

2. Sit down and think

Don't be afraid to ask yourself 'What is it that I want to write?' You might just find your answer. Instead of worrying about writing what you think your readers want, write it for yourself instead. Chip away at that cement block in your head that is the barrier between you and writing.

3. Write the opposite of what you intended to

Take this little exercise and consider it. Open up your rough draft and write the exact opposite of what it is that you want to write. This way, you're able to clear some of it out of your head and hopefully let in some room for new ideas.

4. Stop pressuring yourself

Writer's block never lasts forever. Sometimes all writer's block really is is just the pressure you're putting yourself under. Worrying if it's going to last forever is just going to make it worse. Progress isn't linear. You will always have ups and downs, but when you're down that means an up is on its way.

5. Dialogue first

If your writing specialty is something that contains dialogue, write that first. Later after that, fill in the narrative parts as best as you can. If you don't know what to write in terms of narrative, write what is happening on a different level. What does the room feel like? What is your character feeling in the depths of their chest? What emotions are running through them? Are they nervous? Are their palms sweating and their breathing heavy? Build the detailing.

6. Only work on one project at a time

One of the worst ways to heighten your writer's block is by adding several projects to your to-do list. All that's going to do is pressure you even more. Instead of working on several things at once, put your focus and energy into one project at a time. This helps keep your mind clear between what you're actively working on versus what's sitting in your drafts

7. Listen to music

Some people just can't listen to music while they write. If you aren't one of those people, turn the tunes on! Want to write something emotional? Listen to some sad music and let it fill you. Want to write something thrilling? Open up your rock music playlist. Write as if you're inspiring your project on the music you're listening to.

8. Read someone else's writing

When I say read, I really mean it. Read it, study it, analyze it. Watch how they phrase things and what words they're using. Don't copy it, just study it. This way, you might have a little bit more to go off of. Let it inspire you to do better and write better.

9. Stop trying to out-do yourself

If you feel like your writing needs some sprucing up, that's okay! You have time to grow as a writer, but you need to write first. If being afraid that your work won't be as good as you'd hoped is stopping you, try not to worry so much about it. You can always get better, but that's only if you keep going and keep trying. Next time, just do your best and stop trying so hard to rush the process of growing. Just write what you can!

10. Ask yourself 'what would I want to read?'

This is one of the all-time best ways to relieve writers block. You become so focused on writing what your readers want to read and see from you. Instead, write what you would want to read. Something you think you'd enjoy reading, go ahead and write that instead.

11. Stop psyching yourself out

If you think your writing isn't very good, I'll let you in on a little secret. Every writer tends to dislike whatever they've written. It doesn't matter if it's the best damn thing ever written, the writer still doesn't like it. You know why? Because they were the one who spent so much time with it. They were the one putting every meticulous detail in. Of course they don't like it! But their readers almost always do. Just because your writing isn't your favorite, doesn't mean it's bad. It's a natural response to dislike something you've created. That doesn't mean you need to stop, it just means that you still have room to grow.

12. Destroy the distractions

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that distraction is the devil. Having 10 tabs open on your computer when you're trying to write is only going to tempt you to look away from whatever you're working on. Stop scrolling through Instagram after writing every 10 words and just keep pushing through.

13. Set a specific time meant for just writing.

This tip goes along with the last one fairly well. If you set yourself a deadline, use that time to do nothing but write. Even if it's just a few words, don't look away until you're at the end of your time period. Don't give up after 15 minutes just because you can't think of anything. The only way to beat writer's block is by writing!