Outgrowing Friends

Outgrowing Friends

Some friends aren't meant to be by your side forever.

472
Outgrowing Friends
Haili

You know those friends that we have, that we get to a certain point and we just don't get along with them as well anymore? You just don't connect with them like you used to. Maybe it's because you've both grown up and have found different interests, or maybe it's because one of you has grown up and the other one still needs to catch up. This is something that happens, especially during transitional times in your life. When you transferred from middle school to high school, there was probably a friend or two that you drifted away from. That's natural, it happens to everyone. When you go off to college, it is difficult to stay friends with some of the people back home. You probably made some new friends in college and accidentally neglected your friends from your hometown. You're starting a whole new life, so it's only natural for that to happen. If you're the friend back home, then you're probably starting something new, too. You might be going to community college or dedicating your time to work. Either way, you aren't in high school anymore, so life is different for you now. When something in your life changes, other aspects of it are bound to change, too.

When I moved away to college, I moved to a completely different city in a completely different state. I went from a little town in Michigan to the big city of Chicago. It was a really big change for me. I met a lot of new people, both at my school and at my new job. I came across some new opportunities that I never would have gotten at home. I had all of these new friends and projects to focus on, so I stopped talking to the people from my hometown as much. I felt bad for neglecting my old friendships, but I was really excited for the new experiences I was going to have. I didn't want to be stuck in the past, I wanted to move forward with my new friends. It wasn't because I didn't want to keep being friends with them, I just couldn't focus on them at the time. Now, whenever I visit home, I see each of them, say hi and catch up a little, but when I come back to Chicago, we don't really talk much. It's OK, though, because it's a natural thing. They have new friends, too. We're all just growing up.

Sometimes, you grow up faster than your friends do. That's OK, too. They'll catch up when they're ready, but until that time, you don't need them to hold you back. You may care about this person and try really hard to keep up your friendship with them, but if they are just holding you back from trying new things or making new friends because they want to keep you from doing things or they always want you to be available to be with them, then it's OK to take a step back. You don't have to put your life on hold for a friend who just isn't ready for life yet. Everyone doesn't grow up at the same time and it's OK to let yourself grow up without one of your friends. They might seek you out once they've caught up with you, and if not, that's OK, too. Some friends aren't meant to stay by your side forever.

These transitions don't always go smoothly. You may have grown up, are taking care of yourself, doing grown up things like paying rent, buying furniture and working an almost full-time job, while some of your friends are still living at home, relying on their parents and maybe still unsure of what they want to do with their lives. No, I'm not saying that people who still live at home need to grow up. Moving out is just one of those big steps of becoming a grown-up. I'm also not saying that they need to figure out their lives right now. Like I said, some people just take longer to get to that point. But, like I also said, you don't need them to hold you back. If they try to tell you that you're immature or are a bad friend because you aren't spending all of your time with them anymore or you're choosing some of your other friends over them, you don't need to let it affect you. If you're working hard to get good grades and make money, then I'm proud of you. If you've found someone who understands that and is right there beside you, working hard and going somewhere, then I'm really happy for you. Keep going and hold onto those people you find along the way. Don't let your old life keep you from moving forward. Things can't stay the same forever. Everyone needs to grow up and move on. Props to you if you're already getting there.