Our Love For Ourselves

Our Love For Ourselves

The Expectations and Standards need to Stop

15
Our Love For Ourselves
Kaitlin Fionda

Today’s world is a busy and bustling one. It is constantly moving in a forward direction never stopping. Standards and expectations are a common theme in today’s world. There are standards and expectations at one’s place of work, through their culture, the list goes on. The set of standards and expectations in this world has changed through history… but why in today’s world is the critiques and comments of the body and looks so important? When did the high expectations and standards become a thing of the norm?

Our world is a difficult one to describe… not because there are positives and negatives but because is there a set word to describe the world? There actually is… it’s unique. But in today’s society the continuous comments and critiques of being judged for those unique traits become seen as flaws… they are seen as anything but positive. The world has become cruel and unjust with these standards and this not only affects myself, but every human being on this planet. The world’s idea of beauty and body image has become unsettling… and what good is it doing?

When I ask’ “What’s the perfect body image?” What comes to mind? Washboard abs, a muscular physique, being skinny? That’s the idea that has been planted in the heads of so many people in this world today. That body is what people strive to have and when those who struggle with their own body image… it’s an image that haunts them. The expectations this world has for others just by looking at someone is unjust and unfair… judging someone based upon their looks and body image is not okay because it causes one to jump to conclusions quickly and those conclusions could be entirely wrong. So many people struggle with their body image… From personal experience I know how it feels to look in the mirror and wish you looked differently. There are times where you wish you could go back in time and do things differently like not eat half the crap you did, and actually be stricter about going to the gym. But that time has been lost and those thoughts plague your mind constantly. That image of “the perfect body” creates this expectation that can make one’s spirits lesson because it seems so far out of reach. The stresses of just having to please one’s own conscience is already tiring enough. But if we could love ourselves for the bodies we have… would our conscience be clean and clear? Would all those comments and critiques become positive encouragement and reassurance? If we became more kind to ourselves and just loved our bodies for what they were, the conscience would be happy and that “perfect body” wouldn’t exist because all of our bodies are perfectly perfect.

Sports present another challenge because that physique that most to all athletes have is achieved through their hard work and dedication. But there is a sport where hours and hours of time are spent in front of a mirror, its dance. Dance is cut-throat, it takes a lot of strength and dedication to do what some dancers do… but all sports are cut-throat. But dance is on a different spectrum because you spend countless hours training and then performing and it’s a continuous cycle… but that mirror becomes your conscience on the outside. Looking at yourself in the mirror and becoming so hard on one’s self about certain parts of their body. The ravaging thoughts that go through some dancer’s heads are anything but kind. But athletes themselves are hard on themselves too, they might not like how muscular they are and just want to hide that part of their bodies. The world needs to be more kind about our bodies… to love them fully… every muscle, every flaw, every part of it.

The world’s idea of beauty has also changed throughout history but as of recently it’s a common conversation amongst everyone. The expectations and standards of beauty have changed and the standards that have come with that have become way too high just like the standards of the body. In the world of makeup, there are so many techniques and ways to apply makeup and the creativity that has stemmed from the makeup world is inspiring but the dark side of it is... why hide the beauty you were given? Flaws that are present on some peoples’ faces are seen as ugly and not pleasing to the eye… which is disheartening. So many individuals stare at themselves in the mirror, trying to perfect or change what they already have. Covering their skin in countless layers of foundation and concealer to hide the imperfections that make one unique. Amy Bloom once said, “You are imperfect, permanently and inevitably flawed, and you are beautiful.” We are all beautiful in our own ways through our bodies, through our beauty, through everything. Our love for our bodies, for our skin, for our conscience should be great. Our love for ourselves should be never ending.

Don't you agree?