Our Flag Is Still Here

Our Flag Is Still Here

A letter to Colin Kaepernick.

4
Our Flag Is Still Here
TBO

I am not a fan of football. I am not even really a very big sports fan. However, I couldn’t go through this last week without hearing of the actions of the 49ers’ quarterback Colin Kaepernick. In case you have not heard, Kaepernick chose not to stand during the national anthem at a pre-season game against the Green Bay Packers. His explanation for his actions is that he does not want to show support for a country that oppresses African Americans and other minority groups. I was very troubled to hear of this, and have chosen to write a response.

Dear Colin,

I am sorry. I am sorry that you feel that you live in a country you feel does not support you. I am sorry that you feel that you cannot support your country. It truly saddens me that the social and political unrest of our country has grown to this scale. I wish that it never was, and never will be, such a division in our country. Unfortunately, for now it is something we must all go through. But it is something our country must go through together as one.

I know that you believe that your actions are the most impactful way to help the African-American and minority groups in America, but I think your actions are lacking. You have definitely succeeded in bringing attention to the issue, but all you have done is create a larger divide in our country. You are drawing negative attention to the issue and creating a dichotomy of white, patriotic citizens against oppressed minority groups. I think you will find the impact to be much greater if a man of your standing were to go out into communities and actually work to bring about peace and unity. All you are doing now is creating a scene. That will bring about no positive impact.

I do not know what it is like to be a minority. However, I do know how it feels to grow up an Army brat. I know how it feels say goodbye to a parent as they leave for deployment, and miss them the whole time they’re. I know what it is like for my father to miss my birthday or Christmas because he couldn’t get home from Iraq. I know the fear of never seeing a loved one again. I don’t know how it feels to be a minority, but I know what it is like to be an American. I know the pride I feel when I hear the national anthem, and I certainly know what it is like to choke back tears while remembering why those words were written. I know the freedom and opportunities that I have in this country, and I would never take it for granted. I am so proud of my country. Colin, I pray you find that pride someday as well.

Once again, I would like to apologize on behalf of the country I love. I am sorry that we have led you to believe that racial injustice is the only thing that has come out of the United States. I am sorry that we have showed you nothing you be proud of and nothing to love. I am sorry that when you look around this country, all you see is hate and injustice. I pray that America is able to show you something good. I pray that one day you will be proud to stand for our national anthem. I pray that you find new ways to define the United States. But Colin, our flag is still here and it supports you every day of your life. I hope that you find a way to support our flag in return.