Our Earth, Our House
Politics

Our Earth, Our House

A perspective on Climate Change and its effects internationally shown through housing conditions.

57
Our Earth, Our House
Foto-Rabe (Pixabay)

Berlin, New Delhi, Nairobi, and DC all held housewarmings in late November and early December, and were looking forward to seeing each other again. The group of four first visited Berlin’s, who they expected to have the cleanest and most organized house, the role model of the pack.

The outside of Berlin’s house was immaculate, with its pristine white paint and large windows; it looked as if it would be the best house of the four. A surge of thick black smoke greeted all four of them as they entered the house, making them all cough. Berlin quickly opened all the windows of the house, trying her best to get rid of the evidence. “Berlin, why do you have so much black smoke in here?” New Delhi asked. “ Yeah, I thought you said you were going to take care of the problem by last Thursday” Nairobi remarked.

“Well, I wanted to and called a guy who specializes in fixing stoves, however, he said he wasn’t going to make it until next Thursday. I have to wait another 6 days for him to show up! I tried so hard you guys, I’m sorry” Berlin responded. “The Stove is just getting worse and worse, and no matter how hard I’m trying, the coal black smoke thing is just increasing!” she added.

As the smoke cleared, DC, New Delhi and Nairobi saw that the perceived immaculate home of Berlin was not as it seemed. They saw that some of her plants were already dried up, and assumed she forgot to water them. Also, it didn’t help that the heater was broken, making it much hotter in the house, and therefore drying out the plants. The 3 while talking with Berlin still were in shock about how bad of a state it was in.

New Delhi’s house was less developed and smaller than Berlin’s, a sort of rough rock that has the potential to be great. As all four walked into his house, the three guests noticed that not all of the lights turned on when they flicked the switches. “Sorry guys, not all of the electricity in the house is working yet, but I aim to have them fixed in two weeks” New Delhi explained. “I’m trying to build solar panels on the roof right now, it not only would save me energy, but also save me money as well”. “Yeah, but what about this black smoke that’s around here? Shouldn’t you just stop using coal? It would definitely help damage the house less, and also be better for your health” Nairobi stated. “Technically yes, but what am I to cook with until my solar panels are installed? That’s why similar to Berlin’s issue, I must use the stove” New Delhi replied. DC, Berlin and Nairobi looked at each other, but understood their friend’s problem.

A couple of nights later, DC, Berlin and New Delhi met outside of Nairobi’s home out in the country. Before she came out, they noticed that her yard was mostly dry, even though it had sprinklers in it. However, Nairobi while noticing it welcomed her friends in open arms and invited them inside. “I would like to apologize that dinner will take a little longer than normal” she said. She continued to explain how there was a severe drought in her area, which in turn decreased the water supply in her neighborhood. “Yes, I do understand that there is more available water south in the city, but I like and want to keep the more traditional culture here” she exclaimed. “But why would you want to live around here? It seems dangerous” Berlin asked. Immediately after hearing this, Nairobi, with the three following her, went into the kitchen, and pulled out a drawer, revealing a firearm. “I know, but this not only keeps me safe, but my family as well. And we don’t want to give up our way of life because of this drought, we won’t” she said firmly. DC, New Delhi, and Berlin stood back shocked, yet understood her predicament. The night went smoothly on after that. However, one could not say the same at the last housewarming, at DC’s place.

DC greeted the three friends into his apartment, giving them a tour. “Here is the kitchen, where we have fresh and clean water, and the living room is over there, where we can watch TV later. Feel free to roam around” he said. The other three looked around the room in awe, seeing that DC had seemingly the best apartment out of the four yet. They even complimented his place during dinner. “Everything here is so bright” New Delhi stated. “Exactly, and I love how the water is clean and clear” remarked Nairobi. “Wait, I didn’t see anything wrong with your places, everything looked fine to me” DC responded. The other three looked at each other in shock.

“There was literally smoke in my place” said Berlin. “I literally cannot cook and am trying to deal with the same problem in mine” remarked New Delhi. “I barely have running water at mine, which is threatening my way of life” Nairobi said louder.

“Well, but guys, there’s nothing wrong with that. Or if there is, it’s an easy fix” DC replied. “Well, if you say it’s easy, then why don’t you help us” Berlin spat back. “Because I’m not responsible for you guys, just for me” DC said.

The other three got up from the table all at once because of this, in shock and insulted by their friend’s lack of support for their needs. “I can’t believe you believe that” New Delhi said, with Nairobi shaking her head.

“I think it’s time that we fix this ourselves, without you” Berlin declared. “Guys, let’s go, we have work to do”. Then the three left together with their heads close to each other, planning on how to solve their own problems and practicing international cooperation.

DC watched in disbelief, and then shut his apartment door. He denied the probable, the obvious, the destructible. He himself was the only one out of the four, in fact, in the world, to deny Climate Change.

For Further Reading:

-Kenya:

http://www.climatechangenews.com/2017/08/02/dying-gods-mt-kenyas-disappearing-glaciers-spread-violence/

-USA:

https://www.npr.org/2015/12/09/458930580/rest-of-the-world-perplexed-that-climate-debate-continues-in-u-s

-Germany:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/11/20/germany-falters-climate-leadership-editorials-debates/879129001/

https://www.climaterealityproject.org/blog/how-climate-change-affecting-germany

-India:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/06/how-indias-battle-with-climate-change-could-determine-all-of-our-fates