Stop Supporting The Orlando Shooting

Stop Supporting The Orlando Shooting

More than just lives were lost

1
Stop Supporting The Orlando Shooting
TIME

When we’re little, we are told time and time again that we will understand when we’re older. We are sheltered from things and told that we’re too young.

Well now I’m an adult, and I still don’t get it.

I don’t understand how there is so much hatred filtering through our lives.

I will never be able to process how someone could walk into a bar and open fire on innocent people.

But what I have an even harder time understanding is why some people are not upset by this tragedy. That doesn’t come with age.

That comes with ignorance.

An article published by USA Today showed that the Westboro Baptist Church protested at the funerals of the victims. A member of the church stated, “It is not okay to be gay and it will never be okay to be gay.”

You know what? It’s not okay to hate people. Members of churches say that being gay is a sin. The Bible does say that, yes. The Bible says many things, including, “There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?”

I am a Christian. To me, being a Christian is loving those around you. It is believing that God created this world, and He put me here to be the best person I can be. I am not here to judge other people or to tear them down. I am here to accept everyone as they are and try to bring happiness to others.

Right now, I am having a hard time with that. I am having a hard time not judging those who are praising God after a man held open fire and killed 49 people.

The Orlando shooting was the largest loss of life on American soil due to a terrorist attack since 9/11. And people are actually supporting it.

Jimmy Fallon spoke out against this hatred on his night show.

“We need to support each other’s differences and worry less about our own opinions. Get back to debate and away from believing, or supporting the idea that if someone doesn’t live the way you want them to live, you just buy a gun and kill them,” Fallon said.

I know what it is like to lose someone you love, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. The difference is that no one was at my grandfather’s grave protesting my sadness. No one was rejoicing in the fact that he died.

If you are a person who feels it was a good thing that there was blood shed, lives lost and hearts broken, I invite you to look in your heart and rethink.

Put yourself in the place of someone who lost a person they love. Allow yourself to put your opinions aside and exude love.

Remember, the Bible also says, “You reap what you sow.”