Orlando Not The First, Nor The Last

Orlando Not The First, Nor The Last

A thought on Orlando

3
Orlando Not The First, Nor The Last
al.com

The Orlando tragedy is just the highlight in an age of mass shootings in America. Newtown, Connecticut; Aurora, Colorado and San Bernardino, California are just the recent shootings that have shaken our country. To live in the United States, is to live in fear that one of your fellow citizens will bring a gun to a crowded public place and open fire.

As far as we know, the shooter in Orlando had legally purchased two of the guns he used to slaughter 49 clubbers. As long as you have less than a $1,000, and are of legal age, you can purchase a handgun on the streets of America and it is completely legal. This was demonstrated in a video by VICE, a journalism website, when they met up with a man at a Florida gas station to purchase a Sig Saur handgun for $550.

There are 88.8 guns per 100 citizens in America, according to americangunfacts.com. So what do we get when we mix a high number of guns and laws that make it legal to sell in gas stations? We get 126 mass shootings, 129 shooters and 869 dead Americans in the past 50 years, according to an article on the Washington Post. Of the 244 guns used, 140 were obtained legally.

While some may say that this is a time that should only be used for healing, this time is also needed for reflection. The era in which we live is beginning to be an age of fear, paranoia and distrust. The only recourse that can be reached is to, at the very least, reexamine gun laws. We’ve seen this scene too many times in America. A grieving city, 24/7 news coverage, police raids, a shooter’s face and thousands left heartbroken.

If we have learned nothing from this, then we truly have become a nation of apathetic people. While these may be dark days, we need to stop being uncaring and detached. We are all guilty of feeling like there is nothing that can be done about these shootings. For now, let us heal the wounds of Orlando and demand that laws be put in place to prevent the legal purchasing of mass murder weapons by deranged men and women. You don’t have a constitutional right to hold the American people’s peace of mind hostage.