The Seven Things You Need To Know In Order To Ace That Interview

Whether you're new to the interview game or just brushing up some old skills, it never hurts to get a refresher.

14
businessinsider.com

Looking for a new job is scary. You spend hours carefully filling out application after application and if you are qualified enough they make you go through an interview, too! (Because writing down every job I have ever had just is not enough apparently.) But regardless, interviews are still scary, it’s just you in a room with strangers asking you questions about your greatest weaknesses and how your current boss would describe you. I mean, how do you chose a weakness that does not make you seem flawed; sure, I am not great at division, but I don’t want them to know that. Your interview should be your best you, so here is a little advice on the simple things you can do to rock an interview.

Do your research

Think of your interview as a second date. You should know the interviewers name and little about the company. If you really want to impress learn a little about the industry to like current facts or statistics.

Be early, just not too early

Remember that to be early is to be on time, but you do not want to arrive too much before your scheduled time. Aim for 15 minutes early, any sooner and you could be seen as inconsiderate.

Let your personality shine

Do not go into an interviewing with getting the job being the only thing on your mind. Try to put yourself in the mindset of being likable. At the end of the day they are looking for the best fit, and the fact that you got interview most likely means they thought you were capable, so be yourself.

Ask questions

It is an interviewer’s job to answer specific questions about the company or position, so make sure you ask. Possible questions include:

How would the employees describe the culture of the organization?

What would be the ideal candidate for this position?

Do not talk too much

Interviewers are people, too, they get bored and they zone out just like you and me. Keep your answers to the point, but still provide substance when needed. You want interviewers to remember what you said and not have to sort through their memory’s clutter to remember the sound bites that might make or break their decision to hire you or bring you back for a second interview.

Do not lie… but do not be afraid to be imaginative

If an interviewer asks you a question that you do not know the answer to, do not lie. It could come back to bite you, especially if you claim that you have a skill you really do not. However, you can come up with creative answers. Sometimes interviewers will ask you things to throw you off. They are probably testing your problem solving abilities, response to pressure, and communication skills, so get creative!

Dress and groom appropriately

People will talk about you if you show up to your interview in pants that have not been ironed since your sophomore year, so do us all a favor and dress appropriately. Do not drown yourself in perfume or cologne or forget to brush your teeth that day. Your interview day should reflect your best you, so take a shower, iron your cloths, and make sure that you're business formal.