Hear Me Out, Oprah Should NOT Run For President In 2020

While she sounded presidential, she's not fit for the job.
230

Ever since Donald Trump became the President of the United States, tons of celebrities have implied or announced a possible campaign in 2020. Everyone from actor and former professional wrestler Dwayne Johnson to singer and rapper Kanye West seems up for the job. It seems that a celebrity making a successful run paved the way for celebrities to become politicians.

Trump isn’t the first celebrity to run for political office and he isn’t the first celebrity to win the presidency.

Plenty of celebrities have started somewhere in politics, from actor Arnold Schwarzenegger and professional wrestler Jesse Ventura who both ran as governors in California and Minnesota, Clint Eastwood and Jerry Springer who served as Mayors in Ohio and California and even child star Shirley Temple dabbled in politics. Ronald Reagan who played Superman in Hollywood movies served as the Governor of California before taking on the White House.

It’s not to say that a celebrity can’t handle politics, it’s just that celebrities usually start small before going for the big ticket item that is being the President of a powerful and influential country.

When Trump became President, people felt that set the bar for presidency very low. Anyone can become President! You just have to be likable and have a lot of money, which is kind of the definition of a lot of celebrities. However, most people who haven’t had experience in politics in general much less everything that goes into running a populace, don’t understand what it takes. They don’t know what are the best decisions to make and end up making things worse.

Unless a person has had experience politically, whether it being in Congress or being a governor or what have you, they aren’t fit to run an entire country.

Trump should not be the bar. Trump was never even close to the standard. Just because he became the President of our nation doesn’t mean he deserves it. He is unfit for the presidency. This entire year has proved it and the people should not lower their standards because he did it. It is unacceptable. If anything, we should raise our standards. We need someone who knows what they are doing.

And on the side of Oprah running, I understand the appeal. She did sound presidential in her speech, something we’ve been lacking since January 20th of last year. She’s also a woman of color, and I know that’s exciting to my white social justice warrior friends who think, “Wouldn’t it be amazing if she ran? We need diversity in the White House!”

I agree, we failed electing Trump after finally having eight years without an old white rich man as President, but I promise you, there are plenty of eligible women of color in political offices right now who could run a successful campaign if we gave them the support. We’ve got Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, Kamala Harris of California, and Val Demmings from Florida, all women with experience in Congress, senators, and governors who are all over thirty-five.

So please, don’t lower your standards and think, "well, they are well known and likable", they will do an amazing job. Anyone can sound presidential, but can they be presidential. Promote women of color for 2020, but promote a woman of color who knows what they are doing.

We can’t let this be a trend where people who are qualified to do the job don’t get it because someone “better looking” gets it. Use your vote wisely in 2020.