An Open Letter to My Best Friend

An Open Letter to My Best Friend

Now that we have gone off to college, I miss you more than ever.
1

Hi,

So it’s been a week since we parted. We actually are only 20 minutes away from each other, but it is the farthest apart we've been since kindergarten. We have been through it all together. From putting bugs on our kindergarten teacher’s chair to scare her, to getting into a car accident in high school, I always knew you would be there when I needed you. You put up with my antics and even when I made you angry, you always came back. You are the only person that I am always laughing with. You are always up for an adventure or a spontaneous concert. You are also the only person I can truly be myself around.

The first class we had together after kindergarten was seventh grade English. We were friendly throughout elementary school but our friendship reached a high as soon as we hit high school. We were in homerooms next to each other and we always carpooled. On the way home from school on the first day of freshman year, you told me all about your locker problems. Two weeks after school started, you transferred high schools. I did not know anyone else at my school, and thought this was the end of the world. I know now that it was not even close. With that separation we remained closer than ever. We still did everything together.

When I finally got my license, I could not wait to go on our adventures. We went absolutely everywhere. Our summer nights consisted of trips to the local ice cream shops and bringing dinner to the beach. It never mattered if it was a school night or the night before AP exams; we were all over the place. We would drive all the way to Friendly’s in the snow just to get ice cream because all of the local shops were closed for the season. We would spend the day just wandering around and discovering the hidden gems of our hometown. We found a drawstring bridge across a marsh with trails and we would take artsy pictures. We spent one New Year’s Eve in Boston at the aquarium and ice skating. The following year we just ended up at our local fish hatchery because why not? I honestly cannot even begin to explain half of what we did.

The year before we went out separate ways flew by. We spent our senior year complaining about standardized tests and college applications. We supported each other through the process of waiting for college acceptance letters and were always willing to edit each other's college essays. We got through senior year and had an amazing time doing it, but just like that it was over. After our final adventure, you dropped me off and I went inside my house. I am just about to take a shower when I heard a knock on the door. I had turned off the outside lights and my family was asleep. I may have been a little pissed off, until I saw you back at the door. You had driven up my road in reverse because you had to say goodbye. I did forget to unlock the door, meaning I was now locked outside, but I would not have wanted our final adventure to end any other way. Now I will not see you until Thanksgiving and then Christmas break. I miss you so much and Facetime is the only thing getting me through this time apart. I plan on taking the train to visit you soon and we can adventure through Boston at all hours of the night. You are my best friend and I know that you always will be, from hide and seek to adventuring through the city. I will see you soon.

I miss you.