An Open Reflection On My Freshman Year

An Open Reflection On My Freshman Year

14
An Open Reflection On My Freshman Year

Looking back, I can't help but laugh at what I thought my freshman year of college was going to look like. Just when you think you have everything planned out to the smallest detail, there's nothing like life to come in and rip that page out of your planner, and throw it crumpled on the floor. But the convenient thing about life is that it keeps moving around you, eventually you'll pick up your pace. No matter how many times you try to flatten out that sheet of plans, the big picture has already begun to align your boxes elsewhere. Just trust that.

I'm wishing right now that I could press reset and live this year over again. To experience my first few months of college without being bitter about my plans not going my way. To not give into my selfish, stubborn view that what my year was unfolding to couldn't possibly be better than what I had so meticulously planned. To not have cried and cried because I couldn't let go of that crumpled sheet of plans. College sure will do that to you. It will make you revaluate. To step back, and figure out where to go from here. I've learned that in high school a lot of things are focused on the past. What you've done, what name you've made for yourself, what you did last weekend, or who you took to a dance. But college is always about looking and moving forward. It seems like often times I'm running to keep up with it. And one of the most important lessons I've learned in my first year of college is not to dwell on the past. Be present. Be okay being exactly where you are. Because this fast paced life of the university will sweep you under the rug if you're not. Look forward, look for what is to come, and for what life is bringing you. But be happy where you are.

I look back on my freshman year, on the journey that got me here, and the two semesters that are under my belt and I feel so much joy. There have been a lot of trials and heartbreaks this year. Things absolutely not going my way. But in all of these things, I have never doubted that my school is where I am supposed to be. I look back on my freshman year and see growth. Nothing will make you grow up like packing your bags and moving away from everything you have ever known. Nothing will make you smart like being in charge of your own schedule, your own grades, your own time management, and for heaven's sake, your own laundry, chores, and food. It's such a journey, your freshman year. I have never been more my own person, and I am so proud of that. I am so thankful that I trusted my gut when it came to making my college decision. That I let go of the reigns and allowed my year to simply unfold. That's when you'll get the most out of it, I'm convinced.

Between screaming at football games, making new life-long friends, eating dinner at two in the morning, drinking coffee at eleven at night to write a paper, making the right decisions, making the wrong decisions, spending nine dollars on one box of cookies because you're that desperate, hating the cafeteria food, eating Chicfila every day, growing a hatred you never thought possible towards Chicfila, not wanting to wash your sheets because your bed is so high up, and falling in love with a new city, I'd say this year has been everything I never expected. And it's been much better than what I had planned, I'm sure of it. It's funny how things will work out the way they are supposed to when you stop trying so hard to get your way. It really was an incredible year. And I wish I could do it again.