An Open Letter To Cancer

An Open Letter To Cancer

"And they had never understood, as they did now, what the word horror meant" -The Lovely Bones

2
An Open Letter To Cancer
Taylor Pitts

Dear Cancer,

Let me start off by telling you a story. I am an average teenage girl I would say. I'm good in school, I have plenty of friends, I have a loving family, and I have a roof over my head. Pretty average right? But this story isn't about me, it's about my family. You've crossed us a time or two in the past, stealing members of my family. You've come and you've gone and we've fought you every time. We try to stay strong and stand together, but often times you were too strong, you tore us down and stole from us once again. This afternoon my aunt was taken from me because of you. She was a beautiful lady, from her smile to her soul she was pure. You probably know this already since you had been with her for quite a few years now. You probably knew how she cared for everyone she met, how she always showed up with a smile on her face, and how even after you tore her down, she was still stronger than ever, loved more than ever, and more beautiful than ever. Even though you took her away from this earth, you did not take her spirit.

But my aunt was not enough for you, just as no one ever is. Now you are going after my uncle. You've been with him for a little while as well. But let me tell you that even after taking my aunt we have not lost hope, faith, or love.

I am sure you've taken enough people that taking my aunt doesn't phase you, she is just another victim of you. I can only imagine all of the beautiful people you have stolen from this earth, all of the innocent, pure, and amazing people you didn't give a chance to show the world who they could be. You steal people young and old, man or woman, fast or slow. You take the young ones too early, they barely see the world and then their gone. They never get to leave their mark. At least for my aunt she was able to touch the lives of many people and she will live on through us.

Now I have a couple of questions for you, how do you choose your victims? How do you choose when to take them away? Why don't you let them stay stronger? Why do you want to take innocent and loving people away from this world? Why do you keep choosing people from my family? I hope one day you will give us all these answers because I know I'm not the only one who needs answers.

But I would like you to know that no matter how many people you take from this earth, no matter how many of them are from my family, you will never steal our love, trust, and strength. Even in the end of the fight when you are winning and taking us down we won't give up or let you take anything else from us. Instead, we will come together and reminisce about old times, we will make new memories in the time that we can, and we will love more than we ever have before, so that when you take someone from us we won't be too hurt, we will be peaceful. We will know we loved, cared, and did everything we could and that we made life beautiful. No matter how hard you try, you will never be able to take this from me, my family, or anyone else. We may not win every fright with you, but we ARE still better and more beautiful than you could ever be.

I pray that maybe you will one day stop. I pray that you will leave my uncle alone. I pray that no one ever sees you again. But until that day I want you to know we will never give up.

Sincerely,

An average girl who wishes you will leave her family alone