An Open Letter To The Person I Used To Be

You don't know me yet, but you will soon.

695
themes.com

Hi there,

I know you’d rather be texting your boyfriend than reading this letter, but he’ll be gone sooner than you are anticipating, so prepare yourself for your first heartbreak. It will be messy and very hard to handle at the time, but you will get through it. It is the time you’ll realize that "everything happens for a reason." Remember that quote because it’s a quote you’ll reference a lot.

Please don’t give up on the things you love. No matter what it is, if it matters to you, it's "cool" and important. Don’t give up on your dreams just because someone isn’t interested in it. Do things for yourself. It’s okay, you can be a little selfish in that way. After all, it is your life! There will be times when you have to ask yourself, “Do I actually like this or is it for someone else?” Your answer will be “For someone else,” and you will go on living like that. Please start thinking and doing things for yourself and stick with the things you really love.

Don’t take your family for granted. Right now, I know you think your family is just like any other family. You have dinner together every night, your parents push you to do well in school and sports, etc. In reality, your family is one of a kind and very special. They are the reason you are who you are today. Your parents are still together and happy and in these days, that is hard to come by. Your extended family doesn’t fight and everyone loves each other deeply. You don’t see all this right now, but one day you will. You’ll eventually start wearing a necklace that has family meanings behind it because of how much they mean to you. Please start appreciating your family and everything they have done and will do for you.

Be confident in who you are. I know you aren’t the most popular girl at school or have the most expensive clothes, but you are an amazing person. There have been things that have brought you down or discouraged who you are, but you need to brush them off. You shouldn’t have to change yourself for someone. Be confident in your beliefs and values. Don’t let someone change who you are just because you’re friends with them. Hold yourself to a higher standard than that, you deserve it. Please be confident in who you are becoming.

Live in the moment. I know all you want to do is get that homework assignment done or for it to be the weekend, but that’s not the best way to live. Just staying home and not hanging out with friends is okay sometimes, but you will never get back those moments of laughter. Play on a sports team in high school and enjoy it because it goes fast. I know, four years seems like a long time, but it goes in a blink of an eye. Those once in a lifetime opportunities, do them. Don’t live in your comfort zone forever; it can get lonely. Please get out there and enjoy every moment.

I know this a lot to take in and you don’t fully understand it all yet, but you will. And when you do, you’ll realize what an amazing person you are and what a beautiful life you truly have.

Love,

Yourself