An Open Letter to the Girl Who Introduced Me to Greek Life
Friendships

An Open Letter To The Girl Introduced Me To Greek Life

Meeting you changed my whole perspective on Greek life, and I am forever grateful.

194
Photo by Olivia Riccio

Dear Kaitlin,

So I cannot believe I finally am a part of a sorority. Never in my life did I think I would be able to get into one, nor did I have a good outlook on them either. When I started college I knew the girls who liked to party would rush, and I never heard from them again.

Entering junior year, already with a full schedule, it was not even on my mind to join a sorority. But then I met you, and suddenly the idea of it seemed better and better. We got to know each other through work, and the more you talked about Greek life, the more my heart warmed up to it.

I know we discussed it a lot and unfortunately every recruitment event was when I could not go, but finally, and thankfully, I was able to meet some of our sisters. I had this stigma in my mind, that all these girls would want to talk about is partying. And hook ups. And things that had no meaningful impact or appeal to me. But instead, after I met them one by one, two by two, and so forth, I fell more in love with the sorority, and felt more attached to each sister. I finally decided it was time to be serious about this decision, and accepted my bid.

I have not had a single moment of doubt since then. So far my greek life experience has been full of laughs, smiles, hugs and a lot of welcoming feelings. I knew how beautiful of a person you were inside and out, and turns out all of my sorority sisters are just the same.

I have been welcomed into this diverse group of women whom I would probably never met otherwise. Each one has a story, a lesson to give, and I want to know them all. I want to connect with them and make a difference together. When you put a group of women together, you are bound to get wonderful outcomes, and major change.

For once in my life, I do feel like I have a voice. I do feel like there is this person inside of me waiting to come out of her shell, become a leader, a forever friend and a positive representation of what our sorority stands for.

So thank you Kaitlin, for showing me that there is more to Greek life than what people think there is. Thank you for showing me that there are genuine people like you and our sisters out there in sororities, who really care about school and others. Thank you for answering every single question I had, and I know I had heck of a lot of them.

Most importantly, thank you for being a friend to me and being such a lovely person. I know I can go to you and you will always have a smile on your face, even on the most busiest and frustrating days. We can laugh about The Office or work, or have heart to hearts at 12 am, and I thank you for that. You are very special to me, and I know to a lot of other people to. You are the definition of true sisterhood and what it means to just be a true friend as well.

And when I found out you were my Big Secret, I was so ecstatic. I am so happy I found you and I cannot wait to see what comes out of my sorority journey.

OK, now I'm done being emotional.

Love,

Liv