An Open Letter To My Best Friend

An Open Letter To My Best Friend

My soul mate.
71

To my best friend and so much more. there are no words I can successfully put together to define our friendship. You are the most fun, accepting, weird, and caring person I have come to know and love. You have helped me grow as a person in so many different areas of my life; areas of my life I didn’t even know existed. Coming into college, you never know what to expect. It’s a different world with different people and different challenges and no familiarity. Not only have you managed to make me feel at home at West Chester, but you’ve actually become my home. Obviously I don’t live in you, and no, you don’t have a driveway with a basketball net, nor a kitchen filled with home-cooked meals, but you do have a heart that loves more passionately than anyone I've ever met and you also have a brain that is caring, generous, and selfless. You have become my safe haven, and my place of comfort…exactly what a home is meant to feel like. I read a quote one day that said, “It will be an utterly beautiful day when a person, rather than a place, becomes your home,” and I used to envision myself finally feeling that way when I'm settle down and am deeply in love with my husband years, maybe even a decade from now, but I was wrong. You are my home. And yes, one day in the future I want to be able to call my husband my home, but you will always be my first. People have numerous houses all over the world, those people are usually rich, which would also be convenient for my husband to be, but having numerous homes in a figurative sense means I'm rich in love, and that’s more than money could ever buy.

You were an angel sent to me on Earth and I'll say that until the day I die. You and I both know how immensely exhausting these past two years have been, and no I’m not talking about you trying to work out at the gym. There have been a handful of incidents where I can confidently say you saved my life. Not in the actual, physical way, but in matters dealing with my pure sanity and happiness. There has yet to be a situation that I’ve come to you with and you weren’t there for me. Whether it’s been family drama, boy issues, or literally carrying me through last semester with my broken hip, you have been above and beyond what I ever could have imagined a friendship to be.

Looking back, I can't even grasp the fact that you weren't in my first 18 years of life. In just the past 24 months you have been my best friend, my role model, my diary, my therapist, my lunch date, my hero, my mom, but more-so my child, my cuddle buddy, and last, but certainly not least, my sister.

You will be the girl that stands next to me while I'm wearing a white dress and you will be the one in the waiting room at a hospital while I'm preparing to have a child. As time and distance force themselves upon us, as we get older, you will be my weekly phone conversation that I pair with my glass of wine. When we both retire you will be the one I call to go on vacation with to sing and dance and laugh and cuddle. Too often people don't tell others how they feel, so right here, right now, I'm telling you it is a privilege and a blessing to have you in my life. I can’t even create in my mind a better friend than what you have been for the time that we’ve spent together. I love you infinitely.