To My Ex Best Friend, I'm Glad That We Got To Be Friends

It'll always be sad that we weren't best friends "forever" but it's amazing that we got to be best friends at all.

rlawley
rlawley
10

Dear ex-best friend,

When I think of you, happy memories automatically come into mind. I think of countless sleepovers consisting of secrets and crushes. I think of listening to Hannah Montana songs and discussing our fears about high school. Most of all, I think of how lucky I felt to have had a best friend like you. You were someone who was always there and always lifted my head.

But things changed. Toward the end of middle school, a big argument broke out between us. Sure, we recovered from it as all best friends do, but I knew it dented our friendship. The drama kept on piling on. It was one thing after another. We changed. I was discovering a whole new group of friends while you reconnected with your old one.

I fell into clubs and activities that you didn't want to do and vice versa. Our paths intertwined less and less. And I noticed that, but at the time, I didn't realize exactly how much it hurt.

I'm sorry we didn't last. I'm sorry for my mistakes. I'm sorry. But this is how it was meant to be. I know I'm happy in life and that you are too. We aren't bitter towards each other, which I am so grateful for. Yes, it hurts to think about our past but it's in the best way possible. It'll always be sad that we weren't best friends "forever" but it's amazing that we got to be best friends at all.

I want to say thank you for the friendship we used to have. You were always a steady rock in the midst of my crazy life. You kept me positive and grounded. I know I am partially who I am today because of you and what we had.

I hope life treats you well and that you'll smile while looking at old photos of us. I know I will.

Sincerely,

Your ex-best friend