An Open Letter To The Three Greatest Friends I've Ever Had

Thank you for making Evansville, IN bearable.

187
Zoya Barker

This article is dedicated to three of the greatest friends I've ever had. To Abbey, Carly, and Katie, thank you. I don't know how I would have made it without you.

Sometimes we take the most important aspects of our lives for granted. It becomes easy to overlook the most consistent influences in our lives because they are just that -- consistent.

Less attention is drawn to the areas that cause little trouble. Major contributors become part of a daily routine; they fade into the background, become part of the scenery. But that isn’t to say the scenery isn’t something worth admiring.

See, I’ve really been trying not take each of you for granted. At first, it was easy. As we each went our separate ways for college I thought my life was ending. Since seventh grade these friendships were all I knew. Because you were all I had ever known it was a necessity to keep in contact consistently. Never would more than a few days pass without a text or call. But quickly we all fell into the rhythm of our own lives. We were meeting new people; class work began to pile up. Daily conversations became weekly conversations, then biweekly, then suddenly I couldn’t remember the last time I had spoken to one of you. I would scroll through Snapchat, or Instagram just to see my best friend taking posting pictures with somebody I had never heard of or seen before.

Now we are nearly half way through college and I still haven’t figured out how to balance the multiple lives I live. The town I was born and raised in, the town where all our memories are rooted, is no longer my home. And we are getting to this dreadful age where we soon will begin the rest of our lives. I can't explain just how terrified I am to close my eyes in fear that tomorrow one of you will be moving across the country, getting engaged, or having a child.

I am under no impression that the distance will become easier. In fact, it will only become harder. One thing is for certain though -- no matter how many days or weeks pass without hearing your voices, my love for the three of you remains just as strong.

The truly beautiful thing is that no matter how much time has passed, as we are reunited it always feels as if time has been standing still.

I just want each of you to know how incredibly proud I am to call you my best friend. I have watched you transform from preteens to strong young women. Sometimes I look at you still expecting to see a smile filled with metal, or eyes with a little too much bottom eyeliner. And each time I come back to my senses and nearly fall apart because of the incredible sense of pride I feel.

A group of uncertain, self-conscious little girls have become independent and strong willed. I am so happy that each of you is searching for and working toward your dreams. I am happy that you do not feel the need to hide your truest identity. I am happy that you all have found joy in crevices you never knew existed.

I guess what I’m really trying to say is thank you. No matter what life has thrown at me I have always had all of you to fall back on. I can undoubtedly say that you have walked with me through my darkest hours and lifted me back into the light. You have pushed me to be the best possible version of myself I can be. Know that each of you have become part of my family and I am so lucky that you've graciously brought me into yours. And even now, as I am not the best friend I could be, you unconditionally love me. Even though at night we may sleep miles apart you continue to be my support team.

Nine years. That’s how long we’ve been friends. Can you believe that? That's a really freaking long time. Nine years of being part of something truly special. To not only watch each of you grow, but to be part of the growth is such a special journey, that's more than I could ever ask for.

I may feel as if I have outgrown Evansville, but never have I or will I feel that I have outgrown you.

So, I ask that you be patient with me because frankly, I don’t know what the hell I’m doing. Sometimes I forget how to be the friend that you all deserve. I’ve messed up many times, and God knows I will mess up again. But nothing will change the fact that I love you and I need you.

Thank you. Thank you for being all I ever asked for and everything I never knew I needed.