An Open Letter To This Past Semester

An Open Letter To This Past Semester

To be honest, I really wasn’t a fan of you.

55
An Open Letter To This Past Semester
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/her-campus/4-ways-your-college-class_b_3658223.html

You started off kind of great! No, really, you did! I moved in early, I got to hang out with a bunch of my friends and just have fun and then…classes started. Yeah, that’s where you kind of fell apart for me.

Syllabus week is supposed to be a relaxing time, you know that, right? Yeah, you didn’t even give me a break there. I got out of classes after looking at the syllabus for each class and my first thought was, “Why on Earth am I taking these classes?” The answer being, of course, “For your major, now suck it up.” So, I sucked it up.

You were definitely a challenge. I had to learn how to juggle 18 credits, roughly 10 hours of working a new job, as well as personal drama each week. I did just fine, if I do say so myself. Not counting my major lack of sleep from August to the end of finals week and daily venting phone calls venting to one person or another. If someone had told me the day I moved in everything that you would through at me over the course of roughly four months, I would not have believed them.

There were some grades I wish I could’ve gone back and done better with, to be honest. There are some things I would go back and change given the chance to. I could’ve studied for my Psych quizzes a lot better. I could’ve done one last proofread of some papers. I could’ve gotten a second opinion on my Unit Plan before turning it in. There are probably dozens of things I could’ve gone back and done better, and yet I’m still proud of my grades and what I got done. And with final grades just being released, I’m even more happy with what I’ve done.

I think the best thing you did for me was giving me the opportunity to have my job. Through my job I’ve made so many new friends, many that I wouldn’t have really have crossed paths with without having my job. Not only did I make new friends, but I also got to begin helping out a whole new batch of freshmen and pass along my knowledge to help them through freshmen year. (Although some of those freshmen are questionable Bingo partners.) While there was occasionally a struggle between managing work and everything else going on in life, I’m still more than happy to have been given this opportunity. I can’t wait for more!

Overall, this past semester, you were a mix of emotions. A lot of the time, I wasn’t a fan of you, but there were times. There were some times where I didn’t want you to end because I was enjoying my classes and spending time with my friends. I know, it sounds weird, you don’t have to remind me. I’m happy you’re over, you were a struggle but I worked through. Next semester will be harder and semesters after will surely be harder. A few semesters from now I will look back on how easy you really were, but for now…I’m happy you’re over.

Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to enjoy my winter break and not think about classes.