An Open Letter To My Sister

An Open Letter To My Sister

For the strongest person I know.

289
An Open Letter To My Sister
Danielle Koslow

Believe it or not, I vaguely remember the day you were born. I was so excited to see you, to teach you how to become the best person possible (just like me!). Little did I know, you would be the person who would teach me most of all.

The first lesson you taught me was to be fearless.

I was five and you were three, and we were in Aruba. There was a huge waterslide that I was terrified of trying out, but you were instantly obsessed with riding it. You must've went on that waterslide ten times. I remember your small body, enveloped in a blue lifejacket, flying down that slide. It was in that moment that you taught me how to be fearless with everything. From waterslides, to karaoke, to screaming at people to buy the Girl Scout Cookies you were selling, you never cared about what people thought about you. I was always so self conscious as a kid, so I was constantly amazed by you.

And my sheer awe of you has not changed since. I remember when I was fifteen and you were thirteen, and my medical condition started to deteriorate. You took on the role as big sister for a few years. Every weekend you stayed home with me, ordered sushi (which you didn't even like at that time!) and watched Disney movies with me. I'm sure that was not your ideal Saturday night plan, but it didn't matter to you. All that mattered was that we were together.

On the day of my first brain surgery, you were the only person who treated me like a human. You sent me GIFs and watched TV with me in the hospital while I complained about baldness and took Buzzfeed Quizzes. Our parents could barely look at me because it was too much to see their daughter so sick. I was so lucky to have you there to make me laugh.

I truly am lucky to have a sister like you, who was inspired to use all of her talents to help people like me. You've always been talented with computers. I remember you taught our mom how to text when you were two years old! Now, you know like, forty computer coding languages, and are using your skills to make a coding charity for the disabled. People who are self conscious and felt as if they couldn't live up to their potential. People who were like me.

I am so grateful to have a sister like you, and I'm so proud of all you've done. I can't wait to come home for sushi and pizza nights, more Disney movies, and to see everything else you accomplish in life.

Love you always,

Danielle