An Open Letter to My Spring Time Allergies

In the spring, tissues are my new best friend.

11
Live Science

Dear seasonal allergies,

Spring is one of the most beautiful times of the year. Flowers begin to bloom, trees regrow their leaves and the temperature starts to heat up. With the sun shining almost every day, it's almost impossible to be in a bad mood. Spring is just one step closer to the warm weather of summer. But no matter how excited I am for sunny days, something always has to stand in the way

And that's you.

What makes you the worst is that you always hit me up out of nowhere. For many peaceful months, I'll think that I escaped you and the havoc that you wreak on my life. I'll think, "Oh, I've finally outgrown it," and I can move on. But fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. How many times have you cruelly pulled one over me? Too many times to count. You always show up at the most inconvenient time for me. It's always before a big social event or a week filled with exams, never when I have the free time to focus on getting better.

You're honestly worse than that one ex that everyone has who always seems to keep showing up in your life when you're ready to be done. Whenever you come around, I can't help but sigh. I should know better than to believe that you're truly gone. You just disappear until you think it's right to make my life miserable for a few weeks. One day I go to bed feeling my best and when I wake up, it's like I've been hit by a bus. My throat is scratchy, I can't breathe out of my nose and I look like I haven't slept in days. Every time is an unfortunate surprise.

Also, you really know how to ruin a social life. Everyone looks at me like I'm deathly ill with some kind of unknown disease. "It's just allergies, " I'll say. And every time I get the same unconvinced look. I don't blame them honestly. Who wants to willingly sit next to the sniffly kid who has to blow her nose every three minutes? No one, and it's all thanks to you.

But what's the worst part about you? Is it how awful you make me look or how no one wants to get within 10 feet of me? Oh no, the worst part about you is how I can never get rid of you no matter how hard I try. My makeup bag is basically a small pharmacy. I have all the nasal spray and allergy meds that you could imagine. But none of that seems to help. No matter how hard I try, you always seem to prevail.

I don't know if anyone has every told you this, but I'm going to. You are terrible. Honestly the most terrible. How many countless hours must I spend lying awake at night trying to catch my breath because you took it away? How many tissue boxes must I go through before I can actually breathe out my nose? I honestly never know because you always show up so randomly. So as spring draws closer with sunny days and warm weather, I dread the day that you decide to knock on my door to ruin my day.

Sincerely,

A fed up and sniffly college kid