An Open Letter To The Sports I Left Behind In High School

I miss you every day.

9
Roger Bode

Dear High School Sports,

Well, here I am, a big bad college student starting to face the real world. Sometimes it seems like yesterday that I was sprinting down the field on a breakaway, shooting a three right as the buzzer sounded, or screaming at the top of my lungs because I got the game-winning kill. I can almost still feel the adrenaline rushing through me as I put my whole heart into something I truly loved. There's really no feeling like it; it's completely indescribable.

Although I no longer get to experience that feeling every day, you've left me with some life lessons that I never would have learned anywhere else. You taught me how to be determined. You taught be me to play first for my team, and then for myself. You showed me what it's like to achieve a goal that I've been working towards for years and years. Most importantly, you made me a better person.

I wish I would have appreciated you more while I had the chance. At the time, it was hard to look past the grueling hours spent juggling school work, a job, family, friends, and two-hour practices that made my body constantly ache. I never thought I would miss the pain of barely being able to walk up stairs to class because we ran hills the day before.

I miss the person I became when I set foot on the field or on the court. It was like someone flipped a switch, and suddenly the only thing that mattered was the game. I forgot about quizzes and tests and homework. I forgot about petty fights and relationships. I forgot about college applications and the future. I forgot about everything. I couldn't even hear the crowd. It was just me, in that moment, and the other team that had to be defeated.

Above all, thank you for the friendships I made in the process. There are few bonds that are tighter than those of teammates. We laughed, cried, sweated, and bled together. We were a family.

Thank you for the coaches that pushed me, even when I didn't want to be pushed. They cared for me, both during and outside of the game. They made me feel that despite all odds, I could be successful. They instilled a sense of perseverance in me that I will have for a lifetime.

Being a high school athlete left me with a hole in my heart that will never completely be filled, but the memories I gained are irreplaceable. So thank you, high school sports, for shaping me into the person that I am today. Life without you would have been unimaginable.

Sincerely,

A college student missing my sports every day