An Open Letter To The Seniors On Color Guard Who Led Us To Win In Ways We Never Imagined

From all of us. To the both of you.

576
Emma Buoni

What a year indeed. The year 2017-2018 has been a crazy one for guard. And it has been especially for our two seniors: Ying and Rhiannon (Reggie). Naturally, with our guard being all out and fabulous, we had to do a little something.

So, here it is.

Dear Ying,

Throughout the entire season, you were like an great older sister to me. From the first day of winter guard tryouts, you did everything to help me get better. Without you, I never would have known how cool guard is. Now you are leaving us for college, where your future lies ahead.

I was so dependent on you that when you're gone, I won't know what to do. Thank you for all the things you did for us. You were wonderful as captain. I wish you the best of luck at college, and please come back to see us sometime.

— Honoka

Dear Rhiannon,

Thank you for being my guard mother. I am going to miss your stories about traveling everywhere in the North. You always have the best advice, and I know I can count on you for a portable charger, snacks and non-spicy Ramen. I know I can always come to you for help with guard or boys. Good luck in college, and we are all going to miss you! Love ya <33

— Ashton

Dear Ying,

Thank you for being such a great captain and friend. You have encouraged to practice harder and become better. I am going to miss your constant screaming and our fun times in the guard room during lunch. Good luck in college, and I LOVE YOU.

— Ashton

Hi Ying and Reggie,

I just want to thank you. When it comes to new people I've always been shy, and it's really hard to express myself. When I first started guard I was too afraid to be me. I thought it would be better to keep to myself because the real me is really weird, and you guys might not like me. But you made it seem like family. You made it seem okay to be weird and reveal who you truly are. It's okay to laugh and sit in the circle.

Obviously I'm not always expressing myself, but I do sometimes, and I'm trying to do it more. You made me comfortable enough to be me around you guys even if it's only a few times a week. For that I am truly grateful. Not only that, but you've helped me grow as a guard person. Thank you for making me laugh even when I'm sad (though most of the time you don't know I'n sad but you still make me really happy).

Thank you for believing in me and not giving up on me. Thank you for making me comfortable enough to be unique and different instead of quiet and shy. Thank you Ying and Reggie. Thank you for being there. We're gonna miss you when you're gone (haha pun OUO).

— Rela

Ying,

COULD YOU GET ANY LOUDER?!?!?!?! Man, I will miss your CONSTANT YELLING. But really, thank you so much for teaching and dealing with me. I hope life treats you well just like you did for our guard. I'll never forget your voice. I can hear you yelling in my sleep.

— Riley

Rhiannon,

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for being my friend the past two years! I love going to the corn maze with you, and you better come back for it next year. I'm gonna miss having a friend to walk to class with. Thank you for making me feel welcome and a part of this guard. Have fun in school, but not too much fun (don't be wild, love). I love you as much as you love America and corn.

— Riley

Dear Ying and Reggie,

You inspire me to take good a** pictures for my story so I can watch them over and over and over and over again. Higher and darker, guys.

— Larissa

Ying, yinga, yinga linga ding dong,

You have changed the way I looked at guard from the very beginning. From freshman year I had looked up to you and wanted to be as good as you on weapon line. When you became captain I knew this team would be great. You showed us how to be our best at what we do, and I'm really thankful. I'm gonna miss you.

— Gabi

Reggie, Reggers, mother,

You were like my sister freshman year, and since then we've become best friends. You helped me through so much and I'm going to miss that. You helped me through my personal life, guard life and everything else. I wouldn't be where I am without you because you've helped me so much. I'm going to miss you when you graduate and not being able to see you everyday is going to break my heart. I love you so much, and I'm going to miss you.

— Gabi

Dear Ying,

This might be a little cheesy, but I don't think I'll meet anyone in my life like you. You are an amazingly kind and giving person. Mix that with a bit of humor and dedication and you have yourself a perfect friend! I just want to thank you for everything you've done for the team and me.

— Shani

Ying,

I have nothing to say to you other than I am going to miss you so much. I can't believe we have been through so much together, and it's so suddenly going to end. You are like my sister. Thank you for putting up with my incompetence and thank you for everything you have done for the team. I wouldn't be on guard as a captain without you. I have learned so much from you, and I know you will be successful in anything you try because that's what I've seen from you for nearly eight years. I love you.

— Lily

Reggie,

Girl, I think I would be dead without you. Your motherly nature is honestly what keeps me alive. You always remind me of things I'm likely to forget, and I know I can rely on you for anything. I will try my best to learn from your mother-ness so the team doesn't die next year. Thank you for everything you have done over the years. I am so grateful for you, and I will miss you. Also I'm gonna starve because there's no more Reggie-food-stash, Thank you and love you.

— Lily

Well, I guess it's my turn.

Ying, thanks for being there and believing in me on weapon line.

Reggie, thanks for teaching me how to deal with unruly freshman in a way that won't make me lose my sanity.

Ying, thanks for teaching me that my own loudness isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Reggie, thanks for helping me navigate through my awkward and rather embarrassing crushes.

Ying, thanks for encouraging me and always trying your hardest to lead by example.

Reggie, thanks for being the official Guard Mom.

In short, thank you for not only being leaders who bettered our team, but friends who bettered our lives.

Be sure to visit us.

— Emma