6 Things To Remember For Your Freshman Year of College

As I embark on this important and pivotal journey into college life, I would like to offer myself, and anyone else entering college, a word of advice.

4
google images

1. Be yourself

Yes, it sounds cliché, and I'm sure you've heard it a million times before, but it's important. When you are truly yourself, you will draw people to you who sincerely like you for you. You can let down your walls, feel comfortable, and genuinely have things in common with others. When you act fake or conform to other people's ideals of yourself and your interests, you will draw people to you who you really have nothing in common with, and after a while it will be challenging and exhausting to keep up with this charade and false persona.

2. Get Involved!

Don't be afraid to jump in and get involved from day 1! It's great to put yourself out there for a plethora of reasons. For one thing, you will meet so many other interesting people who have similar interests as you, but who you can also learn a lot from. Also, don't be afraid to try something new! You never know, you might learn a lot and discover something new that you enjoy or even a hidden talent!

3. Hold On To The Close Friends You Make

When you start making incredible friends at college, don't take them for granted and don't let them go. They could be your friends for life, the people you go to when you need a shoulder to cry on at 3 am and the people who will be there for all the milestones in your future like your college graduation, a career, and even celebrating with you at your wedding! There are so many wonderful people at college coming from all over the country and even numerous other countries. There's always something to learn from someone else as it's interesting to get a new perspective on life.

4. Study Abroad

If you have the opportunity to do it, do it!! It is such a wonderful, life-changing experience to be able to study someplace foreign and just immerse yourself in a different culture.

5. Get Involved In Community Service

Whether it's volunteering at a local animal shelter, feeding the homeless, or getting involved with organizations like Habitat for Humanity, many colleges offer service trips. These trips can be a good way to meet others, be more grateful for the blessings in your own life, and make a strong positive impact on the lives of those who you are reaching out to help.

6. Get An Internship

Internships are a great way to see if you enjoy what you're majoring in and to get a glimpse of what it's like to actually work in that field while gaining real world experience. You can learn so much from your internship opportunity and they look great on your résumé for when you apply for a job after college. Who knows, if the place you intern for likes you and your work, they might even offer you a position there for when you finish college.

These are just a few tips and words of advice I would like to offer myself and others who are about to take the plunge into college life. Although it might be a little overwhelming and intimidating at first, it will get easier and once you're adjusted and acclimated, it will be an incredible, life-changing experience.