An Open Letter To Mrs. Obama And Mrs. Clinton

I am extremely capable of thinking for myself, thank you very much.

76

Dear Mrs. Obama, and Mrs. Clinton,

You both are very extraordinary women, and even though I disagree 100% with your political platforms, I respect you both individually. I do not support you in any way shape or form, nor do I plan to in the future; I am a constitutionally conservative Republican, and anyone that knows me knows that I am passionate about my political beliefs, while making sure I am thoroughly educated on political issues as I can be before I form my opinions. That being said, I also believe in gender equality, marriage equality, racial and religious equality. I believe just like you that these are in fact basic rights, however, we simply disagree on how the government should structure these rights.

With all this being said, I want to talk to you both, girl to girl. I think it is amazing how much progress women have made even in my short lifetime of almost 20 years. I cannot wait for the day that a woman takes the sacred oath of office. But I will not compromise my core political values, just to vote a woman into office. Since the 2016 election, you have both made some comments that I have personally found extremely offensive. Mrs. Clinton, in your new book, you stated that white, suburbia women only voted for Donald Trump because of the pressure put on us by white men.

As someone who campaigned heavily on women's empowerment, I am absolutely shocked that you would publicly bash a large percent of American women. You made a very impactful statement the day after you conceded the election that I will always remember. About not letting anyone tell you that you can't. That leads me to believe that you think that women are in fact extraordinary thinkers, and capable of thinking for ourselves. I am in fact extremely capable of thinking for myself. Just ask my parents: while it may not always be the best thing, I am proud to say that I do not let anyone, no boy (even the really cute ones), not my parents or grandparents, not my best friend (who by the way, is like your biggest fan) sway my political or religious beliefs.

I am proud that I took the time to form my opinion through what I learned about the constitution in my history classes, keeping up with current events, and talking to people. So for you to say that myself, as a white woman did not vote for you because of pressure from the men in my community and lifeis extremely offensive. Secondly, you created a racial divide between white and black women in this statement. You imply that black women as a whole are more capable thinkers than white women. Why, because they did what you wanted? Because more of them voted for you? I get being upset when you lose a competition, and I get wanting to place blame. But you are only creating deeper divisions by saying such inflammatory remarks. We are supposed to lift each other up, and if you truly believe in all that you campaigned on, then in no circumstance would you create this divide between women.

Mrs. Obama, you made another extremely offensive comment recently that I cannot seem to get out of my head. You said that "any woman who voted for Donald Trump voted against her own voice, and that if we thought that Mr. Trump represented our voice and was more true to us, then we just don't like our voice, and only like the things we are told to." (paraphrased from CNN). You are implying that if given the option of a woman president, if I vote for a man who I believe represents my political ideology, then I am incapable of thinking for myself. Just because my voice and what I think is best is different than yours, does not mean that I am dumb. It means that I am in fact thinking for myself, that I am capable.

Trust me, I like my voice very much, I am very happy with my ideology, and I am extremely happy with my decision to vote for Mr. Trump. Do I agree with everything he says, does, or every political decision he makes? Hell no. But overall I think that he is doing the best that he can. And compared to Mrs. Clinton, I do believe that he does represent my voice. I am capable of thinking beyond my gender, even my own religion and race. And trust me, I do not just like something, or do something just because someone tells me to, especially if that "someone" is society or a boy.

Like I said above, I cannot wait for the day that the glass ceiling is broken and a woman becomes the president. But I will not compromise my political beliefs to do that. If a woman runs for president and I feel that she will do a good job representing my voice, then yes I will then vote for her, but until then I'm sticking with President Trump.