An Open Letter To My Lifelong Guy Friend

Thank you for always being there.
295

To my lifelong guy friend,

I am so happy I’ve known you all these years. Who knew we would stick together for the last 15 or so? Meeting you in pre-school was probably one of the greatest things to happen to me. You have no idea how much of an impact you’ve had on my life.

First of all, I’d like to say thank you. Thank you for always having my back, and I am sorry if there was ever a time I did not have yours. You always stood up for me, even after pushing me down on the playground a few times, but that’s beside the point.

Thank you for making sure I am always safe. You remember that one time you refused to let me walk home alone in the dark? That was pretty cool.

No matter how many times I said I would be fine, you always took the extra step to make sure I was going to be okay. People need more friends like you. Heck, the world in general needs more people like you.

Thank you for always putting up with my silliness. Yes, I know I’m a goof. Thank you for calling me out on it. Even when I don’t mean to be a goof, you are still kind and tolerate it. Sometimes, you’re even a goof with me. That’s probably the best.

Thank you for making me laugh. If I had to count the number of times you made me smile, we probably would be standing here for another 15 years. Yes, I do find you that funny.

Thank you for judging all of the guys I have dated over the years. I need a constant friend that will know who is going to be a “good one.”

I want you to know that I hold your opinion high. It really does matter to me, especially when it comes to guys I am interested in. Thank you for always being there to catch me after a break up, too.

Thanks for helping me get through middle school. That was a rough time for the both of us. But hey, that eighth-grade dance was not that bad. Thanks for going with me. It definitely made that whole situation better.

Thank you for always being patient with me. I know I can go to you when I don’t understand something. You will always take the time and explain anything to me.

Remember my nightmare that was calculus? You made it just a little more tolerable and I really appreciate it. I know I could not have passed my final without your help studying.

Thank you for always being my friend. I know for a fact that no matter what, we’re going to stick by each other's side. This means so much to me now more than ever because we are in college together. Who knew?

Dude, I know for a fact 3-year-old me never saw any of this coming.

Thank you for being you. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for our friendship.