To The Flu

To The Flu

Why is it that you can shoot and kill a person, yet a shot won't always keep you away?
63

Dear Flu,

No -- you certainly aren't dear to me.

When you came into my brother's life, I didn't think it was a big deal. I thought you were just dropping by for a day or two, but alas, that was not the case. When you then went to my parents, I quickly grew concerned. When you even infiltrated your way to my grandma, I knew that you were a terrible force to be reckoned with.

Of course, I was next.

Perhaps my biggest question is "why?" What did I do to deserve you? I did everything I could to protect myself but to no avail. Why is it that you can shoot and kill a person, yet a shot won't always keep you away?

I want to make it clear that I am over you now. You no longer have control of my life. You don't keep me up at night, and you are not constantly causing me pain. I am free to take charge and go about day-to-day life as I please.

With that said, while I may have gotten rid of you, I have not been able to get away from you. You are everywhere I go. The threat of your presence exists every day. I see you in my friends, peers, teachers, and strangers on the street. I watch you completely disrupt their lives just the way that you did to mine. I am constantly aware that there is not much I can do to keep you from coming back. Paranoia creeps close every time I hear your name.

You may be thriving now, but just know that the season is drawing a close and your time is coming to an end. Maybe not completely, at least not yet, but take my word that we will all do our best to keep you away.

Good riddance,

Me