To My College Roommate Who Now Doubles As My Forever Friend

"You won't be best friends with your roommate," they said. Well we proved them wrong.

4677
Meredith Yarp

You hear all of the college roommate horror stories and just when you think you’ve heard them all, another comes up.

The slob, the hermit, the straight-up crazy person. The first and foremost piece of advice you hear going into your freshman year - “You won’t be best friends with your roommate” - is given more as a fact than anything else.

But, speaking from experience, that is not a fact at all.

I am lucky to never have to dread coming home at the end of the day. To actually look forward to coming home when I get to hear about all the crazy things that happened and laugh until I am almost crying. To actually be crying on the floor and have someone there to love me and tell me that it’s all going to be okay.

Everyone deserves to have a roommate like you. To have someone who is not just a roommate but a best friend, a cheerleader, a support system.

So thank you for proving all of those people wrong.

Thank you for listening to me rant and for accepting all of my flaws. Thank you for encouraging me to step outside my comfort zone and be confident in myself. Thank you for always wishing me a good day as I walk out the door and for just making the start of each day brighter.

I did become best friends with my roommate, and I count my blessings every day for it.