An Open Letter To My Best Friend On His Birthday

Because your existence is something worth celebrating.

Brittany Greve
13683

Dear Best Friend,

First of all, I probably love your birthday more than you because it’s a day solely dedicated to your existence, and no one appreciates that more than me, and this is why.

There's no love in this world quite like you. It has taken me a while to realize how incredibly lucky I am to have found someone who understands me like you do. That's why you're my best friend. You're the one who battles life with me by my side, and I wouldn't want to have it any other way. Just wanted to thank you for stumbling on my path and deciding to stay.

While we have our differences and sometimes we yell at each other, life without you would not be as fun. I can't picture parts of my life without you from the late night movies to discussions that never end; not being your best friend would be a total drag. You are always my number one. When I need someone to listen to my day, you’re there, offering a hug on a bad day, a shoulder to cry on when I’m upset, or just a few words to reassure me. Most importantly, you make me laugh. Even if I’m in a bad mood, you make me laugh. When I should be embarrassed, instead I just laugh. And when I do something ridiculous myself, you make me laugh with you about it as well. Nothing can go wrong with my partner in crime there to watch my back, and of course, you know I’ve got yours too.

You never know where this next year will take you, but why should that stop you. I hope this is a year where you smile a lot, learn a lot, and love a lot. I hope you discover something new and exciting, hold onto what you’ve always loved before, and find something unexpected that will amaze you like nothing else because honestly, those are the best surprises. Just remember to take me with you if you are jumping on that bus, train, or plane to explore because you’re not getting away from me that easily.

Not going to lie, some things will change. Nothing can stay exactly the same forever. But there will always be one fan cheering you on, a person to laugh with who loves you unconditionally, and a sarcastic friend who will keep you in your place while still supporting you to no end. And why is this? Look back at all those years (wow, you’re getting old), and look at the kind of person you’ve become. You’re pretty darn awesome if I do say so myself; you make the job of ‘proud friend’ easy for me. But then again, why do you think we’re friends in the first place? I knew you were amazing before, now you’re just old(er) and amazing.

Here’s to another year of adventures. Here’s to watching movies and videos that will give me anxiety the entire time, to eating ice cream and taking 5-hour long road trips. Here’s to the odd questions you always have the answers to. Here’s to me being ridiculously complicated and stubborn and you being slightly less complicated but just as stubborn. Here’s to knowing random facts about each other because why not. Here’s to finally eating pizza at midnight (soon enough), one pancake and french toast at noon, and lots of Ben & Jerry’s on birthdays. Here’s to another year of having you as my best friend.

I could talk to you for hours and hours and never get bored. Your cutting sarcasm and jokes make me laugh harder than I ever have. You make me smile so much and so hard that my cheeks hurt at the end of the day. Your resilience and ambition, despite all the horrible things that life has thrown at you, inspires me every day to be a stronger person. Your gentle nature balances out my feisty temper and motivates me to be a more calm and patient person.

You help me grow as a person. You challenge me and call me out on my crap. You present me with different ways of thinking. You support my dreams and ambitions and encourage me to work hard and not get complacent. You tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear. You see me for who I am on a deeper level, not just for what I say and do.

Thank you for the constant reminders that I can do whatever I set my mind to, whether that’s acing an exam or finishing that half-pound burger you made me order. Thank you for being there when I have to rant about life because you’re always there to listen, but at the same time, thank you for giving me your perspective that I can’t see. Thank you for telling me when I’m wrong, when I’m overreacting, and that I have a right to act how I want. Thank you for being level-headed, and basically being a second conscience for me. I don’t know how I would’ve survived high school, let alone college, without you.

You deserve to be celebrated daily, not just once a year. And I can promise you that I will never forget to celebrate you.

You are my constant calm, the one person who keeps me grounded, and the person I can count on no matter what. There's nobody I'd rather stumble through life with than you.

Happy Birthday!

With Love,

Brittany