Open Letter To My Best Friend

Open Letter To My Best Friend

"Family don't end with blood." -Bobby Singer

40
Open Letter To My Best Friend
Linda Mueller

Dear Best Friend,

I believe you don't name who you are talking about but I put pictures so... guess I'm doing it my way. It is odd calling you my best friend because you are a sister to me. You have seen me at my worst and at my best. You have been there through every battle and you always cheered me on. You know me better than anyone. For example, you can tell when I'm getting angry and you are able to calm the storm before it begins. No one seems to be able to read me like that, and it always gets me in the feels when you do. Our friendship has been an odd one, but God has always made us cross paths again.

In elementary school, we were friends and to be quite honest I don't remember much. However, what I do remember about that point in our friendship was field day and how much of a committed player you were to the team. You give everything your all, and it inspires me. We grew apart for a while without even realizing.

In middle school, we found each other again, and it was great. Your energetic and happy personality had a great effect on me. In the short time we were not talking much, I started listening to music like Marilyn Manson and wearing Hot Topic crap because I thought that the more bad ass I was, the less people would target me. Alas, you ended up back in my life, and I couldn't have been happier. You did not care how I looked and that was a first for me. You made me feel loved, and with you by my side, I had no reason to fear of what others were thinking about me.

The summer after 8th grade, you invited me to your grandparents shore house, and I never thought so many memories could be made in a week. Words can't describe how wonderful that trip and all of the other trips down the shore have been. You took me from my reality for fun in the sun. I always wanted to wear two pieces, and I would, but I wouldn't be able to take my cover-up off. It would take about 30+ minutes, and then there is the struggle of walking to the water. You forced me out of that. I still struggle but with you it isn't as hard. You would say things along the lines of, "Babe, you're fine!", "You're beautiful", "No one is looking at you", and "I love you". Your encouragement has helped me so much in life. I decided at the end of that summer I would not hide any longer and I would make friends.

In high school our friendship grew stronger and stronger. You helped me become more outgoing and fearless. Because of you I was able to put myself out there and I found many friends. Freshman year alone held so many memories. All of the trips to Five Below after school. You made me feel accepted. We have shared everything from secrets to a parking spot our senior year. You and your family have accepted me and that means the world. We are not related by blood but by heart. As Bobby Singer once said, "Family don't end with blood boy".

Now we are in college and it is hard not seeing you for so long. The first time you came home after leaving, we both ran to each other and cried. I think we hugged for a solid 5 minutes. I love you so much.

This does not really come close to summarizing all of the great things I cherish in our friendship, but it is a general timeline. You have helped me be more social, positive, fearless, and loving of myself. Above all else you taught me what a best friend is.

A life without you? Well, a life without you is something I don't want to think about.