I Only Want a Job So I Can Afford Concert Tickets

Maybe I'll see you in the front row of the next show.

448
Paige Ryan

At this point, I feel like the summary section of my resume should just say "I literally only want this job so I have money to buy band merch and concert tickets." Music is an integral part of my daily life, even though I have no musical talent of my own. Listening to music actually helps me focus while studying and writing, but I also like to have it on while driving or cleaning around the house. The first big concert I remember going to was Kelly Clarkson in 2006 and I had such a great time. Now I've seen over 35 different performers throughout the years.

Music and live concerts are universally enjoyed. In North America alone, ticket sales of concerts have generated over 8 billion dollars of revenue in the past two decades. Plus, concerts are not just a generational thing, people of all ages have been attending shows throughout the years.

This year, I am hoping to attend as many concerts as I can. In the past year or so, financial constraints or scheduling conflicts have prevented me from attending a few shows I was interested in. I sometimes feel as if I have FOMO specifically for concerts. Concerts can be expensive, so what is it that causes those of us who love concerts to keep going?

1. Being among the crowd

There is something magical about being in a large group of people at a show. Admittedly, there have been concerts where the people around me have been quite obnoxious. But overall, no matter how sweaty and close together we are, it is very uniting to stand in a group of strangers, singing and dancing along with the music. It's a moment where we can all forget the chaos of our daily lives and come together.

2. Enjoying the visual experience

Concerts are mostly about the music, but many artists also incorporate visual elements into their performances. Whether it's intricate light shows or short video clips integrated with the music, I really enjoying seeing the visual aspects of live shows. There's usually a lot of meaning behind how the artist decides to set up the stage and what outfits they decide to wear.

3. Supporting your favorite artists and being able to see them live

It's so exciting to be able to see a live show of a band/singer that you've been listening to for years. And when you're seeing lesser-known acts or international groups, you're supporting them as they grow their careers. It's really exhilarating being in the same room with these musicians that I really admire. I love being able to see them showcase their talent in new ways, such as covering a song.

4. Discovering new music

Even if I do not know the artist very well, I usually do not turn my friends down when they invite me to a show. I end up having a good time by just being with my friend. I've discovered new music by going with friends or because the group opened for a band I went to see.

5. Spending time with friends and family

Shows have been a way for me to spend meaningful time with my family, friends, and significant other. Concerts have brought me together with friends I don't see very often and to make memories that we truly will not forget (or in the case of the Nicki Minaj concert I went to, good times that I cannot remember...).

6. Traveling to new places

My affinity for live music has led me to attend shows in many different cities. I've seen shows in 11 different cities so far, and while the majority have been local, I've enjoyed being able to visit other parts of my state. The furthest I've traveled so far has been to Columbia, Maryland which is about 315 miles away from where I live. On that trip, my friends and I spent the day after the show exploring Washington, D.C. I've also attended shows in the mountains of North Carolina and in Virginia Beach, which makes for a really fun trip beyond just attending the concert.

7. Experiencing something new every time

If I really like a band, I will not hesitate in seeing them more than once. When you see an artist more than once, you're likely to have a different experience each time. You may be in a new venue or city. The artist may be touring to promote a new album and will play new songs.

I've seen a handful of bands more than once, but the one I have seen live the most has been Local Natives. Every time I have seen Local Natives perform, the lead singer crowd surfs during the encore song. The last time I saw them live, we were in the front row and he jumped right onto us. It was so exciting that we got to be a part of the crowd surfing for the first time.

8. Listening to the music

Overall, the experience of just being at the concert is the best feeling. I love being able to physically feel the music pulsing through the speakers and immersing the whole room in its sound. Whether it hypes you up, relaxes you, or just makes you feel happy, being able to lose yourself in the music for a period of time is really just indescribable.

Concerts are one of the things I look forward to most. It doesn't matter if my feet hurt from standing for hours, or if I get too hot and sweaty. Every concert I have ever been to has been a completely unique, immersive experience that brings me a lot of joy. Maybe I'll see you in the front row of the next show.