5 Significant Contributions My Cat Makes To My Life That Only A Cat Lover Would Understand

To the cat lovers of the world, you understand. To the cat haters, it's okay, not everyone gets it.

55
Cami Foster

.

She listens to my daily struggles

Not every problem that happens in my life is crazy or needs to be heard, but when I do need to vent, she's always there. Maybe quietly judging, but always listening. Her presence is more than enough to come home too. And even though she doesn't answer, her simple "meows" tell me more than you can understand.

After having my cat for over 8 years, since she was a kitten, I'm able to tell what kind of mood she's in. Whether she just wants attention or is mad about something, it's easy for me to communicate with her in a unique way.

She taught me that being independent isn't a bad thing

One thing my cat and I have in common: we're both extremely independent. My cat doesn't yearn for my affection nor does she need it, and I'm okay with that.

The thing about cats is that they each have their own personality. And although I would like to cuddle her a little more then she lets me, I can still deal with the love she gives me from time to time. It's not that she doesn't show me affection, she just shows it in a different way. From taking naps on either side of the bed or annoying her with my pokes, the love is mutual. It's a bond most might think is silly, but she needs it and I need it. We both know.

She gives me the opportunity to stand up for her

Having the power to make life-changing decisions for an animal who you love is hard. And since they can't speak, voice their opinions, or even express certain emotions vaguely, it's important for me to be there for her when she can't stand up for herself. Specifically, I'm talking about declawing.

My cat recently had her life switched upside down. She had to move to a new home, interact with new people, and adapt to an environment she was unfamiliar with. These types of changes are DRASTIC for a cat, especially since she's been living comfortably for the past 7 years of her life. All because of this thing called declawing. I made the decision to make these changes for my cat because it was necessary, not to harm her. And while I could elaborate more, I'll save that conversation for another post.

She helps me see the beauty in little things

Whether it's taking in the sun that shines at her favorite spot in the house or following me everywhere I go just to be in each other's presence, I appreciate it all a little more because of my cat.

If you haven't really thought about the life of a domestic cat, their lives are strictly confined to the indoors. But they don't make life feel any less than that. She watches birds from the window as if she could jump and catch one, she chases a plush watermelon around like it's her prey, and she eats cat food like she's salvaging a wild animal. I know that last point was a little extreme, but I hope you get it.

Seeing her cat tendencies in a domestic house life is amazing to observe. She makes me realize that she's actually part of something bigger, of a wildcat ancestry, and that her actions display that in the small, mundane things she does.

Eating/snacking will never get old

Another thing my cat and I have in common: eating is one of our favorite hobbies. I honestly think my cat likes eating more than me. Every single morning, she's the one who wakes me up for breakfast, and if I happen to be napping for too long, she's the one of makes it known that it's dinner time. It might get annoying at times, but she's always serious and I applaud her for that. She knows the sound her bag of treats make and always comes running. She knows when I have some of her favorite human foods on my plate as soon as I set it down, and she comes investigating. Our love for food is never ending and I'm happy we don't judge each other because of that. :)