Be Careful Which People Define You

Why You Can't Let One Person Define You

Not everyone is worth it.

70

A few months ago a girl told me I was just like every other guy. After hearing this phrase I immediately thought next she is going to say I am trash, just like the rest of my gender — a phrase I am way too familiar with. However, I wasn't mad. When someone is angry they will say anything they want to grab the attention of you in a way that will make them feel important.

What I was hearing from this person was just straight noise but it also made think. How many people let one person define who they are? If one person comes up and says you're an idiot are you really an idiot? We focus so much on what one person may think of us but have to remember there are several other people who are here to help us succeed and show our worth.

I could've responded to this statement by sulking and saying how terrible I am or I could say well that's what she thinks but I'm going to change that so nobody else can think that. My friends and family are some of the most important people in my life and I let them define who I am.

My parents have always told me, "No matter what happens we will always be your biggest fan." We surround ourselves with people who will build us up not tear us down. Let the people who have seen you at your best and worst define who you are as a friend, student or son. Don't let that girl who you barely know try and make you feel bad about yourself. If 100 people can tell you your self-worth then that is all you really need.

Throughout life, I have gone out of my way to either be someone I am not or let one person tell me what I can and can't do. It might have taken me years to speak up but nobody should ever try and say what you can and can't be. Maybe it goes back to me not knowing who I wanted to be but I also saw myself spread myself too thin trying to satisfy everyone. I have learned that its alright if one person doesn't like you because one person shouldn't matter.

Growing up I would always think to myself that everyone's opinion mattered of me but I was wrong. When you surround yourself with a specific group of people they should be the ones that define you. One of my professors told me that the five main people you hang out with define you as a person and your personality. Surround yourself with people who you can be your best around and won't have to go out of your way to be someone you are not. We all know the phrase fake friends and it is up to us to remember to be who we are even if someone doesn't like us that way.

I still think about what this girl told me. Not in a way that makes me think oh my gosh I'm actually the worst person ever but because this was by someone who had one perception of me. I still learn things today about my friends whether it's their personality or what they enjoy doing, you are constantly learning from others. Just because someone thinks they know you doesn't mean they actually do.