One Of Winthrop's Biggest Issues

One Of Winthrop's Biggest Issues

There has to be a change around here and it has to be soon...
38

The school year has started and everyone has gotten their parking passes. So everyone should know where they should and shouldn't park though. Right? Wrong, I guess. Why are there residents parking in commuter parking spots? Because there are not enough spots for everyone to drive. But there are enough pieces of ticket papers for WU PO to give out tickets.

Even if it's just $25, I have to continuously get a ticket because we are low on parking spots for all students with vehicles. There are areas around campus that say, "no parking" but in all actuality, the spot where the sign is can be made into a parking spot. Trying to conserve the grass is cool and all, go nature; but, I paid $100 for a parking sticker that is not being used and is being looked over just because I'm parked on the grass or in a faculty/staff spot. No, I'm not a faculty or staff member but they have more spaces than we do, it seems. Sharing is caring, right?

Commuter students have it just as bad. Living off campus presents the anxiety of being late to class or our on campus jobs because we can't find parking.

There are a couple of solutions we can possibly look into. We could start assigning parking stickers with numbers so everyone would always have the same parking spot. However, that wouldn't be too good if someone got a parking spot in the back of Legion. We could also integrate all of the resident and commuter parking lots so everyone could have a fair chance at getting a nice parking spot.

Since I don't think we will be seeing any changes soon, we can't keep complaining because it isn't going to do anything. Maybe we can pray too, praying is good. Pray for more parking and equal opportunity. Let's do that. (Or if you're not religious or are of a different religion, just hope that one day things will change for the better.) Some may say I'm exaggerating but I'm positive that there are other students that feel the same way. This problem needs to be addressed, sooner than later.