One Of The Forgotten Roles

One Of The Forgotten Roles

Resort Custodial
19

This is a role no one really thinks about. Most people when they hear custodial, they think of those in the white costumes in the Parks. Between my 2 Disney College Program's I've worked on every type of resort on Walt Disney World Property. (except the FW campgrounds)

Pop Century (Value Resort)
Art of Animation (Value Resort)
Coronado Springs (Moderate Resort/Home resort for 2015)
Animal Kindgom Lodge (Deluxe Resort)
Wilderness Lodge (Deluxe Resort)
Old Key West (Disney Vacation Club Resort/My home resort for 2017)

I've also worked at 2 parks (Magic Kingdom / Disney's Hollywood Studios) this past summer as well. While the parks were fun and overwhelming, I vastly prefer the resorts.

I'm glad that I had the chance to go to other resorts despite being away from my actual location for so long to the point where my managers thought i already left.

Resort Custodial is more than likely always under and in conjunction with the housekeeping department. A big difference between the resorts and the parks is the costumes (obviously) and the work they have to do. Every resort is different but they all have similar assignments.

Depending on your shift and the resort, the Resort Custodial may attend breakout with the housekeeping team especially if it's in the morning. Sometimes you may not, again it depends on what time your actual shift starts and where you get all your materials for the day. As of right now, most resorts have an iPhone, a paper that tells you where you need to go and what needs to be done in that area, also your tentative break times as well, and keys to get into the custodial closets and pargos (golf carts.)

In my personal experience, in all of the resorts I've worked at except for one which was an EHH shift. They all have a designated pool shifts(in most locations) or a shift that has pools included, again depending on the size of the resort and how busy it gets. In most pool shifts, it includes loading up new fresh towels to the towel bins in the pool areas, unloading the dirty ones, replacing the towel metros around the pool areas. As well as fixing chairs and tables and maintaining cleanliness all around the pool deck and surrounding areas.

Other areas that they are responsible for may be public bathrooms, laundry rooms, lobbies, parking lots (cast and public), and any place that is considered a public area. You may not realize but Resort Custodial does a lot of maintaining after the 3rd shift deep cleans the resorts. Because of their costumes being blended into the theme of the Resort, most people cannot identify who's a custodian.

Resort Custodial is a role most people kinda forget it exists. I enjoyed and loved working at the resorts. It's a different sort of magic. You get to see the same guests every day for several days. Maintaining a personal connection with them. It's just special that whenever they see you around the property and they know your name and face. Especially for newcomers, you're one of the first people they see and interact with. I take pride in helping new guests explore the world of Disney. I'm able to take the time to help them plan their vacation or give them tips in a more personal setting.

Take the time out of your day to thank a cast member, no matter the role. Cast Members of every role make magic their own way.