One-day itinerary to the captivating places from Houston

Introduction

85

I have curated some places for a small getaway from Houston.

Planning for a day trip from Houston?

Whether you are planning to discover a vintage winery or a wide variety of cuisines, Houston is the perfect destination to explore. However, there are some other destinations too that look tempting in Houston. But if you are looking forward to exploring the hills of the countryside or the golden-sand beaches within a short drive, you can plan a one-day trip from Houston and discover various specialties of these places. I have curated some places for a small getaway from Houston.

Start your day from Galveston Island (1 hour)

Galveston is the best place to hit the beach. With a one-hour journey to this amazing city, you will feel refreshed here in no time as this place has the vibe of party energy. The beauty of this attraction is the rooftop bars which serve a wide variety of cuisines with innovative drinks at the century-old Gaido’s. Along with the cuisines, there are various attractions located that you can explore, like Moody Gardens Historic Pleasure Pier in Houston. Once you finish exploring this place then you can move ahead for lunch. Also, it is the perfect place to start up your Houston day trip.

Choose something delicious for lunch

By the time you finish planning and exploring Galveston, it will be time to have lunch. For a nice lunch, consider booking the table at the famous Grace that will offer you a variety of cuisines like Mac-n-Cheese, ribeye steaks, burgers, and many more. If you are someone who is diet conscious then True Food Kitchen will ensure, you get only the healthiest cuisine and if you are in the mood to have some seafood then you cannot miss visiting the True food kitchen that will be an excellent choice to enjoy the truly succulent fresh seafood.

Discover the regional hub of the metropolitan area of Dallas (3 hours and 39 minutes)

Dallas is a vibrant city and a regional hub of Texas. With the mesmerizing skyline along with the various things to discover like cuisines, culture, and activities. People who love art are very fond of this city as this city is known for its continuous arts district that includes highlights like Nasher Sculpture center and other green spaces and its special connection to John F. Kennedy that attracts many tourists globally. Also, you can explore this city by car, or flight. If you plan to explore it from the car then it takes 3 hours and 29 minutes from Houston whereas if you plan to travel from the flight then it will take 1 hour and 16 minutes through which you can easily save time and by booking cheap flights from Houston you will be able to save more.

Explore the thriving culture of Austin (2 hours and 32 minutes)

Austin is another famous destination that can be explored from Houston. This famous destination is popular for its thriving culture along with the independent music scene. The most famous festivals of Austin, namely the Austin city limits are strictly music festivals where you can enjoy the music, innovation, and culture altogether. Austin has various attractions that are worth exploring like the Bullock Texas state history museum, the Umlauf Sculpture Garden Museum. Foodies are big fans of the city as this city offers a wide variety of cuisines. For the best day trips from Houston, you can plan to travel to this destination by car and flight. However, if you plan to travel to this destination by car then it will take 2 hours and 32 minutes whereas you can easily reach this destination by flight within 59 minutes.

Soak in a sun at Stewart Beach (57 minutes)

If you are planning for a day trip to Houston then you cannot miss exploring Stewart beach which is a famous family destination. Stewart Beach is a golden sand beach where you can indulge in a volleyball match or enjoy all the other beach activities. For surfing, it is a great place because the waves are manageable. With plenty of sand on the beach, you can relax and enjoy the sun.

Enjoy the adventures at Sam Houston National Forest (1 hour)

One of the famous national forests of Texas is the Sam Houston National Forest which covers a huge landmass of 163,037 acres of forest land with various hiking trails you can enjoy camping, boating, horseback riding, and many more.

Enjoy the family time at Moody Gardens ( 1 hour and 30 minutes)

Moody Gardens are huge glass pyramids that you cannot miss exploring from Houston. It is a one-and-a-half-hour drive from Houston. Moreover, it is filled with sharks, seals but the main highlight that cannot be missed is the penguin encounters that let you get up close and personal with the animals, and if you are lucky you may even get to see them in their training session. For the kids and adults, it is a perfect stop to enjoy and explore a day in Houston.

Do check out the animals in the Zoo

Houston has a beautiful zoo. It has elephants, gorillas and even there is a section that is totally dedicated to the dinosaurs. It is another favorite place that can be explored with the kids. The standout feature of this museum is that it offers free days that are usually on the first Tuesday every month. If you are in town then you cannot miss exploring this zoo. It can be easily explored in one day.

Travel to the vibrant city of San Antonio (2 hours and 59 minutes)

San Antonio is a vibrant city with a variety of attractions. Explore the Alamo where Theodore Roosevelt recruited rough riders for the Spanish-American war. Here you can stroll through the popular Riverwalk area and pick from the wide variety of restaurants and shops. Also, to know more about the history and the architecture don’t forget to explore the downtown where you can get a deep insight into the architecture of the Cathedral of San Fernando which is also one of the oldest cathedrals in the United States. However, if you are planning to explore this vibrant city then you can reach here by car or even by flight too. The fastest mode of travel is the flight as with flights you can reach your destination within 1 hour and 7 minutes whereas with cars you can reach this city within 2 hours and 59 minutes by car.

Wrapping Up

From discovering places to enjoying the festivities, there is a lot to discover from Houston. You can explore these places from the various travel modes like cars and flights. Each and every place has its own specialty to discover and for a small getaway, you can plan a one or more day trip in Texas from Houston. With an ample variety of cuisines to the various attractions, every place that is mentioned in this itinerary will definitely win your heart.