On Being Home For The Summer

On Being Home For The Summer

Caught between "j-chillin" and "what am I supposed to do?!"
1

There are some things about going home that are incredibly comforting--- having homemade food, your own real bed and not having to wear shoes in the shower. However after spending a year living a completely different life, coming home can feel like a strange limbo between real and fake life.

You're excited to see your friends but...

You totally forgot the details of all your high school drama. You used to be an old pro at organizing hangouts but now you can't remember who's on good terms with who, and you forgot the damage that a careless Snapchat story could make.

You missed your parents but...

How do they not understand that a 12 am curfew is slightly unrealistic. You were just getting started at midnight a month ago and now they expect you to go to bed at that time ??

You love having your own room but...

The pressure of having someone sleep five feet away from you kept you at least partially clean. Now you're not sure how a space that is so much bigger than your cramped dorm room could get so much messier.

You have so much free time but...

You forgot how to handle downtime that does not involve being surrounded by hundreds of other people. Plus even when you had nothing to do in college, you still knew you had something to do and now you cannot even procrastinate in your free time.

You are overjoyed that you are not doing laundry but...

You are now working/being forced to clean your room/chauffeuring your siblings and those seven loads once every two months are sounding a little bit better now.

It feels so good to be home but...

You miss your school friends and the happy little bubble that is college life.