Omicron + Flu Season and the Importance of HEPA Air Purifiers

Omicron

94

Naturally, there has been a heightened awareness of germs, proper hygiene, and preventing sickness as a direct result of the Covid-19 pandemic. With this heightened awareness is also a renewed appreciation for purified or clean air and the air purifiers that provide it.

As we head into winter, this year we are faced with the annual concerns of flu season with the added pressures and fears of COVID-19’s new variant Omicron, too. In addition to proper hand washing, vaccinations, and wearing masks to help prevent the spread of the flu and other illnesses that are especially common this time of year, investing in a high-efficiency air purifier is high on the to-do list for many folks. The Rensair air purifier is the only hospital-grade option on the market that is portable and cost effective, providing clean air for every space. But how exactly does an air purifier help during flu season?

Reducing Airborne Germs
Using HEPA13 filters and UVC light it destroys more than 99.97% of airborne viruses (incl. coronavirus) and bacteria while most conventional air purifiers simply collect and trap harmful particles. The Rensair solution uses the most advanced purification technology, documented by independent laboratories. HEPA filters like Rensair help to trap particulate matter within the air, significantly reducing the amount that we breathe in. Particulate matter can be harmful in more ways than one, including being an ideal environment for disease to live and spread.

In a 2020 article published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, the relationship between air pollution and specifically COVID-19 is discussed, which also translates to many other airborne illnesses. In essence, particulate matter can often be the perfect vehicle for transmitting disease via bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites, among other microbial agents. This means air and air quality plays a huge part in the spread of disease or lack thereof. Therefore, implementing a HEPA filter to trap particulate matter and recirculate clean air into your home can help reduce the spread of germs and ultimately prevent illness, including the flu.

Purifying Dry, Stale Air Produced by Heating Systems
Because flu season occurs in the fall and winter, it’s also peak time for closed doors and windows, heaters on high, and stale air circulating. Not only can this kind of air be uncomfortable, but also detrimental to both health and productivity.
If you read our post on making workplaces safer, you know there is evidence suggesting that good air quality has a large, positive impact when it comes to productivity. This applies to both workplaces and in the home, and can help optimize how you utilize your time either way. Moreover, since many of us are still working remotely, it is important to consider the quality of air in the space where you’re now spending the majority of your time.

Winter can also mean inclement and unfavorable weather, which pets may dislike as much as we do. With that said, it’s expected that pets will remain indoors more during the winter months than any other time of year, meaning pet bacteria and animal pollutants are at an all-time high. Having an air purifier helps to trap animal-produced particulate matter in addition to other illness-causing bacteria and pollutants.

Sleeping Easier
Finally, though certainly of equal importance to refreshing air, increasing productivity, and reducing the spread of illness, research continues to show that air purifiers help contribute to better sleep. An article by Globe NewsWire presents evidence supporting the link between higher indoor air quality with better sleep quality, specifically when it comes to sleep apnea. But inhaling cool, clean air throughout the night is certainly more beneficial than inhaling polluted air for the same amount of time. Plus, sleep quality is seriously important when it comes to health in general and especially so with regard to flu season. UC Health reports that good quality sleep is imperative for the immune system to function optimally; if your body’s first defenses are not functioning at their best, you’re putting yourself at risk for catching the flu, COVID-19, and other illnesses whose peaks are during the winter months.

To learn more about Rensair, please visit: https://rensairus.com/