How The Olympics Reminds Us Of The "U" In USA

Lately, it seems like we’re a nation torn apart, but the Olympics reminds us we are united.

10
NBC Olympics

The United States of America—lately, it seems like we’re anything but united. Between political arguments, racial tension, and disagreements over what exactly America stands for, my Facebook feed is constantly bombarded with differing opinions and arguments. And quite frankly, it gets pretty ugly sometimes. I sometimes just want to reach for a button that sets everyone right in the world and reminds us that we’re all humans and we should all love each other for that sole purpose.

And even though I can’t do that, it seems like the Olympics have come the closest to bringing us back to the United States that we’re meant to be. It seems like overnight my friends switched from talking about politics & their opinions on polarized issues to celebrating Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky, and Michael Phelps. Democrats and Republicans were liking each other’s statuses (Gasp!) and everyone could finally agree on something: we’re proud to be Americans and proud to be a part of a country that produces wonderful athletes.

This couldn’t have happened at a better time, too. I was just about to throw in the towel, because it can get frustrating to never know what to think on political issues. Take an opinion, and you’ll upset someone. Don’t say anything, and miss out on a chance to shape the future of our country. But, it is beautiful to see our country united on the fact that we love to watch incredible athletes work hard and achieve success.

These athletes inspire young people around the nation to pursue their dreams and remind them that hard work can bring success and it’s a beautiful thing to see a nation dreaming again. I get so caught up in the dismal future that is portrayed when the economic and social status of our country is brought up, but I recently saw this comment from one of my friends.

“I watched my daughter and her friend change from leotard to leotard switching roles and saying, ‘No I’ll be Simone, you be Gabby.’ ‘I want to be Aly. You be Laurie.’ And I realized that these athletes are inspiring and shaping America’s future. And that’s more impact than Trump or Clinton could ever have.”

It’s powerful to see our youth-our future being inspired when we so often get run down in the nitty-gritty and forget to be hopeful. So thank you to the Olympics. Thank you to the athletes. Thank you for reminding us that at the root of all of our arguments and disagreements, we are United. And we want the best for America’s future.