6 Olympic Moments That Rekindled My Pride In America

As Team USA racks up medals, I'm finding healthy patriotism.

22
NBC Olympics

After going through a year-long course of AP United States History and learning the good, bad and ugly about our nation, I don't often get jazzed about America or become super patriotic. I feel blessed to have so many incredible freedoms, but our history is blemished. I strive not to fall into the flag worshiping "America is the best nation in the world" mentality. One exception I have to this rule is the Olympics. How could you feel anything but patriotic after watching the United States Women's Gymnastic team win its second straight gold medal? All of those stuck landings and world record breaking laps really make me feel like there is still genuine hard work done in our country.

The past couple nights of watching Katie Ledecky swim her heat or catching the tale end of a USWNT game, has gotten me thinking about how these athletes can inspire healthy patriotism. You should be able to have pride for your own country, and these are some stories and moments that have guided me toward that.

Witnessing a legendary swimmer win his 26th Olympic medal.

Seeing Michael Phelps tear up as the Star Spangled Banner played after winning his twenty-second Olympic gold medal seemed so raw. Phelps stood with misty eyes as the NBC commentator talked about his winning four straight Olympic golds in the 200m IM.

Ibtihaj Muhammad competes as first US Olympian in hijab.

Muhammad, who currently ranks as the second best saber fencer in the United States and seventh in the world, is the first American athlete to compete in hijab. Beyond this noteworthy stat, Muhammad's athleticism speaks for itself. She graduated a three time NCAA All-American from Duke and has dominated World Cup competition in years past.

Watching Katie Ledecky swim for the gold

Watching Ledecky swim makes you feel like you are a witness to important history. At the age of eighteen some labeled her the best freestyle swimmer in the world, and seeing her in the lane only reinforces that title. She flies through the water like a bird cuts through air. It is a treat to see such talent, and it is only made sweeter by the American flag on her swim cap.

US Women's Gymnastic Team

Between nearly perfect floor routines, powerful vaults, effortless-looking bar routines, and gravity defying balance beam work, the Final Five (Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, Laurie Hernandez, Madison Kocian, and Gabby Douglas) are dominating the competition. Other teams could only hope to take home the silver. The amount of talent on our whole team and the unparalleled practice they put in makes me practically bleed red, white, and blue.

Kayla Harrison defends her Olympic gold.

Harrison successfully protected her reigning title as the Judo gold medalist. Four years ago, she made history and won the first Olympic gold in judo for the US. In Rio, after an intense match with France's Audrey Tcheumeo, history repeated itself as Harrison won her second gold for the US.

Charming tweets

An honorable mention: On August 2 Simone Biles, known as the 4'8" giant, tweeted this picture with American volleyball player, David Lee, who stands 6'8" tall. Biles captioned the picture "size difference in olympians doesn't matter, depending on what sport you do ;)"

The greatest factor unifying all of these athletes is their commitment to Team USA. Despite their different sports, races, genders, and backgrounds, they are all unified in that common nationality. That fact and their astounding accomplishments make me feel more patriotic than Uncle Sam on July fourth.