Olympic Athletes Who Inspire Us All

Olympic Athletes Who Inspire Us All

We all have those Olympic dreams that come to us every four years. Here are a few athletes who have made theirs a reality.

211
Olympic Athletes Who Inspire Us All
News Locker

We have all watched the Olympics and thought, "Wow, I could be as talented and athletic as those people," while we sit on the couch eating popcorn. If there was an Olympic competition for Disney movie marathons I may be an Olympian yet, but sadly there is not and I do not have the motivation to go be active at the moment. However, we all love cheering on our favorite athletes and watching them do mind blowing tricks on the gymnastics floor or going inhuman speeds in the pool. But as the second week of Olympic events come under way, I think we should take a moment to appreciate a few of the inspirational athletes at these Summer Olympic Games. This is a hard list to put together with all the amazingly talented and inspirational human beings at the games this year. But the ones I have compiled on this list I believe have surpassed expectations people have put on them and offer a different insight for the world of sports.

David Boudia and Steele Johnson

These two Olympic divers discuss their faith and express their thanks to God for giving them the opportunity to compete at these Olympic games. For Christians around the world, it is inspiring to hear two men in the spotlight be so open about their faith in Christ.

Gabby Douglas

Gabby Douglas faced a lot of doubt coming into the Olympic trials this year, but she proved everyone wrong as she made it obvious she deserved her spot on the 2016 U.S. gymnastics team. And she blew everyone away as she finished third in the first day of gymnastics in Rio behind her teammates Simone Biles and Ali Raisman. She may not have been in the individual all-around finals, but she was third out of all the gymnasts there and that is pretty impressive.

Katie Ledecky

At age 15 she amazed everyone with winning gold and breaking the world record in the 800 meter freestyle during the 2012 Summer Olympics. Now at 19 she continues to dazzle the world with her continuous strength in the freestyle events. Friday night she destroyed her previous world record by nearly two seconds. Along with her swimming career she will attend Stanford in the fall. Who knows what she will be able to do in four years?

Ginny Thrasher

Another 19-year-old Olympian, Thrasher won the first gold of the Olympic Games. For teens everywhere she is inspirational for both competing in the games, being an amazing athlete, and attending college. She will arrive at WVU right before classes begin.

Michael Phelps

The most decorated Olympian of all time, Phelps has a total of 27 medals, 22 of which are gold. He has surpassed all expectations and become the best swimmer the Olympics has ever seen. After a retirement in 2012, he reentered the world of swimming in 2014. He came to the 2016 Summer Olympics in what might be the best shape of his life. Michael Phelps inspires us all and will go down in history as the greatest Olympian.

Kerri Walsh Jennings

Kerri Walsh Jennings has been the Olympic gold medal winner for the past three Summer Olympics with her partner Misty May-Treanor in beach volleyball. She returns to this year with a new partner, April Ross, to continue her reign and they have been on fire. She proves that she has not lost her touch in beach volleyball and blows away the competition.

Now let's all go and live out our own Olympic dreams with the inspiration these athletes have given us!