Old Dominion Is My Home

Old Dominion Is My Home

So beyond proud to be a Monarch.

8
Old Dominion Is My Home
Personal

Many teenagers are very scared when they decide on what college they want to attend. Many things come into place of what is surrounding, what it has to offer, and more. Even though my brother goes here, Old Dominion is now my new home and here is why.

1. The Big City

Never in a million years I would have ever thought to myself to try something different and go from a really small town to a really big city, but here I am and I absolutely love it. Going from considering that traffic was behind a tractor to sitting in a line of cars for over ten minutes was quite the adjustment especially during rush hour. We have two stoplights back home and here we have over hundreds, it feels like every time you go after a stoplight you stop right after.

2. The Activities

I love Norfolk for many of reasons, but especially the activities. With your Student ID you can get into the zoo for free, there are plenty of museums, and only being twenty minutes from the beach is a blessing as well. There are plenty of coffee shops to have a sip and do homework, many bars to go out and have fun, plenty of room for adventurous road trips and many more. Being right by the beach is such a great thing since they have putt-putt, movies, bowling, skydiving, zip lining, and more to keep you occupied and relaxed.

3. The People

Even though many people feel as if Norfolk is a dangerous city, the people can be extremely kind. I have met some of the absolute best people here. From school, job opportunities, community service for our Greek Life and more, you can meet plenty of people. Diversity is SO great at ODU. We have many different, unique people who can all speak different languages and meet people from all over the world.

4. The Home Away From Home Feeling

Even though I am nearly four hours from home, I still feel like I am home here at ODU. Whether its spending time at football games, going to the beach, or just hanging out with others, I always feel welcomed here at ODU. After joining my sorority of Tri Sigma here at ODU, I have always felt that I am home.

5. Sports

Old Dominion is such a great university with high academics and also great athletics. Football is such a popular sport here at ODU and all of the games are extremely fun. Since we get into the games for free, tickets are really competitive. Baseball is my favorite sport, so hanging out in the cold is worth it when you are such a supportive fan. Many students attend soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey games as well. Sports keep many students busy during the weekends, so they are not truly home sick.

Old Dominion has always been my home away from home ever since the beginning of being here and I couldn't imagine my career path being taken anywhere else. I love ODU and hopes that anyone who decides on colleges to love it as much as I do!