It's OK To Not Know What You're Doing With Your Life

Because your happiness is more important than being forced to know what you think you want to do with your future.

8

We come to a point in our lives where we are expected to know what we want to do for the rest of our lives. This point usually approaches in high school. When you have to start filling out scholarships, applying to college (or at least decide what you're going to do after high school), take prep courses, and so much more that you are being bombarded with. It can become pretty overwhelming — and this is only the beginning. This high expectation of students needing to know what they are going to do with their lives puts a lot of pressure on students, it gets pretty stressful, and honestly, it's somewhat unnecessary. Why? Because you're still young and have plenty of time to figure it all out.

I know that our teachers and families want the best for us, but it's hard to know what the best is when many of us don't even know what we want yet. Going into college with an undecided major is OK. Don't freak out. You still have plenty of time to figure it out. Get some core curriculum classes out of the way, and take a few classes that interest you and this will get you well on your way to figuring out what you want to do! We're at the point in our lives where we're figuring it all out. We're trying to realize what the best path is for our career, as well as trying to figure out what direction our personal lives are going (because it's constantly spinning in circles), try and balance those two with a legitimate social life and you've got a lot on your plate!

It's good to have a solid idea of what you want to do with your future, but you don't need to have it set in stone quite yet. I had what I've named a "quarter-life crisis" this past school year because I changed what I was doing with my life after undergrad; I thought my entire world was falling apart. I had this idea planted in my head since high school of what I was going to be doing with the rest of my life, and it had all of a sudden changed. I thought that since I had changed this, everybody I knew would be disappointed in me. I was afraid of the response I was going to get from my parents, my professors, and even my friends. You will be pleasantly surprised by how much support you will receive from the ones you love when you make a decision that you think is shattering your world. The more I talked about my decision, the better I felt about it. This made me realize that it was OK that I didn't know what I was doing, because with time, I would figure it out. When something like this comes up in your life, keep this in mind: do what makes you happy. The more I thought about this, the better I felt about the decision I made. Looking into the future, this was the decision that was going to make me happier.

You can change what you want to do with your life as many times as you want, as long as it keeps you happy. This is the most important. Because your happiness is more important than being forced to know what you think you want to do with your future.