Oh, The Drama!

Oh, The Drama!

Why "General Hospital" is more than a boring soap opera.

20
Oh, The Drama!
ABC

Most of us hear the word "boring" when someone brings up a soap opera, but have you ever watched "General Hospital?" I've been watching "General Hospital" since I was basically born. My mom has been watching it since she was a teenager. I am also going to be 21 years old. I'm sure you can already see that this show has been around for a long time.

"General Hospital" is definitely anything but boring. It is the only soap opera that has ever caught my attention and has me dying to see the next episode every time the one I'm watching ends.

The story lines are endless and there is constant drama with every character. Everyone has their favorite character(s) and we are always happy when the characters' lives are good. But because it's a soap opera, we all know eventually something will shake up their lives. I believe there are three big storylines in the show right now that are also some my favorites.

1. No one will ever get out of the mob.

We all know that Sonny Corinthos runs Port Charles. There is always a new family trying to take Port Charles away from Sonny like the Zacarras or the Jeromes. As we all know, they never take away Sonny's territory no matter how hard they try. There is always someone's significant other asking them to get out of the mob as well. Julian Jerome swore to his children and wife, Alexis that he did but as we know now, that was a lie. Unlike Sonny's wife Carly, who accepts the fact that he is a mob boss and loves every perk of it.

2. It wouldn't be called "General Hospital" without scenes in the hospital every episode.

You would never think that some people would be in the hospital so much, but in this show it's like a second home. Mostly everyone is a doctor or a nurse or related to one. There is endless drama in hospitals of course, but in "GH" it never stops. It's sad enough when one of your favorite characters is fighting for their life, but when someone tries to kill one of them who is already admitted to the hospital, that makes things even more crazy.

3. Royalty comes with a price.

I think the biggest storyline right now is related to Prince Nikolas Cassidine and his sudden disappearance. At the end of this year's Nurse's Ball, we see Jason Morgan on his way to Windermere to go find Nikolas. When he arrives there, he hears a big crash and runs upstairs to Nik's bedroom. The window is broken, glass is all over the floor and Jason sees what looks like Nikolas' body on the rocks. Shortly after that, his wife Sam comes through the door along with Nikolas' wife, Hayden, and Curtis, her "bodyguard." Hayden is, as usual, accusing Jason of pushing Nikolas through the window, but we all know he didn't do it. The police then arrive shortly after and blame Jason as well (no shock there). Nikolas' body ends up disappearing from the rocks and they assume the water pushed him in and is presumed dead.

Just so you know: No one is ever really dead in this show.

Remember when I said nobody ever gets out of the mob? Jason did from a lack of memory and also his big disappearance for two years. He will probably be the only one too ever get out for sure though. That's another story, however.

How about the last five minutes in of an episode where we see Ava on a plane escaping Port Charles and then we see Nikolas is sitting right next to her!? Looks like someone's not dead after all. Why would Nikolas fake his own death like that? And why would he leave his son, Spencer, all by himself? Maybe Spencer knows he's alive and that's why he's not upset by his fathers "death."

Oh, the drama!